Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

alienware 17 laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I have an alienware 17 laptop which has an onboard graphics and a 770 video card i am wondering how to completely disable the onboard so that it is always using the 770 i have went into device manager and disabled the onboard but it wont use the 770...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

You need to go into the bios to disable the on board video, most systems repeatedly tap F2 during boot.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

You need to go into the bios to disable the on board video, most systems repeatedly tap F2 during boot.

i am not sure where i see it in their i have checked their many times i only see disable integrated NIC or something which is the network card... ....

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

No card video is on the chip needs to be disabled, there quite few sections/options you need to poke around taking your time.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

This is why I hate the switchable graphics on these gaming laptops.....they never work right. Check you laptops manual for settings on the GPU and the onboard GPU of the chip....eg CPU. I would have a look but with out make/model of the laptop, it's impossible.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

As others said, the GPU/CPU are generally together. If you have a laptop that can have a GPU installed seperate from the cpu then the bios detects this and disables the onboard gpu automagically. No ram should be be allocated to the onboard GPU anymore. The laptop bios see's the onboard, but continues on to the aftermartket gpu. The onboard gpu should not be disabled, if the gpu fails then there is nothing it can fall back on. This would cause you to have to pull the battery and somehow reset the bios back to default without video display working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users