Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Self-Typing Periods - I Think It's Hardware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vifargent

vifargent

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

I have an older Toshiba Satellite running Win7. It is old and probably cat-hairy (although I do clean it out). About a week ago it started squealing at startup, which I assumed was the fan, and so vacuumed it. It has squealed once on reboot since, but at the same time the laptop keyboard stopped allowing me to type a period while at the same time typing periods uncontrollably itself.

I have done a system restore, which seemed to ameliorate the problem, since it's not typing in every single address bar/ form field now, but it still is doing it sometimes. Initially I thought perhaps it was a problem with the keyboard itself so plugged in an external one, but the problem was still happening - but, again, no longer every single moment when there is an open field (I'm successfully typing this right now, only minutes after failing utterly at writing a non-period-filled email to my brother). I've scanned with MWB, AdAware, Spybot, ADWCleaner. My biggest frustration with this is I had a little money so I bought a laptop on Craigslist that didn't work, and immediately then a Win7 desktop from CL, too, that turns out has a nonworking video card. Out of all these bad choices, I've already done so much to the Toshiba to make it functional in its dotage that it seems like the one I should stick with for now? 

I can interrupt the flow of periods with individual letters, but even if pressed very rapidly they are still interspersed with periods. And backspacing cannot keep up with the flow! Thanks for any ideas!!

Edit: To keep it cool in a budget-friendly way, i have it setting up on empty cat-food tins, and I don't use it for gaming or other intensive purposes. 

Edited by vifargent, 16 February 2014 - 01:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

My guess is a dirty key board, the best way is to remove it turn it face down and lightly tap it from end to end then vacuum it out.  Do not attempt to vacuum in place static can raise cane with the your system.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like you have a sticky key. You can sometimes tap the sticky key (period key) a few times quickly and firmly and it will stop the problem for a while. Keyboards are not that expensive and usually easy to replace. You can do a search on youtube for your specific model # + replace keyboard and probably find a walkthrough video.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users