Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computernewbE

computernewbE

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

I have had countless problems with my computer for the last 6 months or so now. Mainly viruses. Its a Dell Inspiron with windows 7. now the first thing that happened was it crashed on me and would not start up and some how that fixed itself.. dont ask me i suck at this kinda stuff. That happend twice. Then "Norton" expired and i didnt get a new security system so it got all this crap on it from my family using it, well ya know how that goes. It was running fine but slow, so i got "system mechanics" to clean it up and it was a package deal with "system shield"(its this whole thing from iolo technologies, it blows) for a discounted price at target. i paid twenty bucks and this guy from best buy recomended it, but the price should have sent up red flags. any ways somewhere in the midst of downloading the clean up part of the software my "office 2010" which was essentially just "word" went away so i cant pull of any documents for school. Then i started the antivirus protecter and at the same time tried to redownload word. a bunch of crap downloaded with word and when i try to do my security scan with my new system shield it does the (not responding) thing and i cant delete any of the crap that came with word so i dont know what to do. I need help cleaning my computer for efficiency and protecting it from this problem getting worse in the future. please someone who know what they are talking about give me some suggestions because i am blind over here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Yeah...iolo...I've had bad luck with their software....noob choice back in the day.

First and most important question: Does your system have the hidden recovery partition/drive labled D? Next question: Is there any thing of "REAL" imoportance that needs to be saved...eg pictures? If not, since you have had all those problems and you say your not that good at fixing this kind of stuff. I would recommend using DELL's recovery software to do a factory reset. Follow these instructions.....this way you can start fresh.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362066

#3 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

OH...and stay away from Norton...with windows 7 I recommend using MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials for your AV.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29942

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

The bassfisher's advice may well be the quickest and simplest way to get your computer out of this mess, BUT be aware that doing this will wipe ALL the data off your computer as part of the process. You will need to back it up before you do this recovery.

If you have never done this before, it isn't difficult but you need to establish how much data you need to backup, this determines what you use.

You mention work for school and 'Word', so if most of your data is 'Word' type documents something like a 4 or 8Gb USB memory stick should be enough. If you have a significant number of photos in there, you may need a portable hard drive. Image files are much bigger than Word files on average.

Right, having decided what sort of temporary storage you are going to use, start your computer up and plug in the temporary drive. You will probably get an 'Autoplay' box appear asking you what you want to do. Just close the box. Then open 'Windows Explorer'. Two ways to do this in Win 7 - there is usually an icon at the left hand end of the taskbar, just click on it. If there isn't, RIGHT click on the 'Start' button, then click on 'Explore' in the little menu that appears. In the screen that opens you will see your C:\ drive and the drive you have just plugged in. It may be labelled 'E' or 'F'.

At the side of the 'C' drive you will see a small + sign. If you click on this, you will expand the 'C' drive. If you keep your work in the 'Documents' folder, the 'C' drive doesn't matter. Just click on the 'Documents' folder once to select it. Then click on it again but this time keep the mouse button DOWN and then move the cursor until it is over your temporary drive and let go of the button. This process is what is referred to as 'Drag and Drop'.

You will get a little box appear saying it is copying files, and when it is finished, the box will close. You can then go and do the same with any photos you have, or music you may want to keep until you have backed up everything you want.. then turn your computer off, unplug the temporary drive, and you are ready to -safely - restore your computer as suggested above.

Just as an aside, I have never used Microsoft Security Essentials - I personally like Avast - but there are a lot of members on BC who use it all the time.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Sam Ervtech

Sam Ervtech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

MSE is ok as long as you don't need automatic updateing, and I mean Automatic. If a virus comes out in the morning and the fix is done in the afternoon, as long as your PC is on, Avast will Automatically update itself. MSE wait until 3 am or whenever you have the update service set to. Avast is the way to go. Only issue I have is annual registration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users