Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista keeps resetting power options for display.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phickspc

phickspc

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi, I've noticed recently that Vista resets time limit for turning off display. This annoys me as I have to keep moving the mouse to turn it back on every 20 minutes. I tried setting the time limit to Never, and even tried creating a new power profile, but vista still resets it to 20mins every 2-3 days.

Please help :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi heevyhivy,

I know how frustrating this can be! Please see the link below and let me know if any of the methods in article KB935799 eliminates your troubles. Make sure to do this while logged onto an account with Administrative Privileges.

Configure power options in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 phickspc

phickspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hi Donna, sorry the solutions that apply to my situation haven't worked. Whether I change the time to never on high power plan or on a new power plan, the time for either resets to 20mins.

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2014 - 07:26 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi heevyhivy,

I am totally stumped on this one. You don't happen to have HD Tune installed, do you? The only similarities that I have found with others that experience this same occurrence that actually found a solution are those with HD Tune installed which resets the Power Settings every time the program runs. Uninstalling the program fixes the issue for those victims.

Other than that, most helpers suggest to Create a new User Account due to a corrupt profile , a clean boot or to make sure all device drivers, chipset, and BIOS are up to date.

You could try those suggestions and in the meantime I'll keep looking around and if I do come across a fix that may help, I'll post what I find.

Please let me know if you do find a solution before I reply back.

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#5 phickspc

phickspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Have HD Tune, I've unticked the box which allows it to change power settings.

Just exited the app and the power options havent changed.

Will monitor it to see if the power options revert.

Thanks Donna!!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2014 - 07:27 AM.
Removed quote - Hamluis.

#6 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Well I'll be! That was a shot in the dark! I looked at your previous threads to see if I could find a log that provided an uninstall/installed programs list and didn't see one to verify if you had HD Tune installed (or not).

Please, do let me know if unticking that box helps.

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2014 - 07:28 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

A cat named ugly

#7 phickspc

phickspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Well I'll be! That was a shot in the dark!

Please, do let me know if unticking that box helps.

Yes I ticked/unticked it and ran hd tune tests and checked the power options. Ticking the box will turn off display after 20mins. Unticking will leave power options as they were.

Shot in the dark or not,

Thanks a bunch Donna!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users