Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! All of my files are missing?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fizzgig

fizzgig

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hi everyone,

Yesterday morning my laptop was working fine (I have Windows 7 Home Premium), and later that day when I signed in to my account everything was gone. My background image is gone, some of my applications are gone (like Spotify). and most importantly all of my files are gone. I cant see any of my pictures or text documents, nothing. So I ran SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes in safemode to no avail. I also tries unhiding files, but when I go through the process of unhiding files and get to the View button, there are no options for me to uncheck hidden files. It's just a blank box.

I'm not good with computers, so I would really appreciate detailed instructions on what I should do to fix this.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hi fizzgig, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Is there more than on user account on this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fizzgig

fizzgig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thank you very much. And no, I'm the only user. I know when I was looking up what to do online before I came across this site, that there was some confusion about people logging in under a temporary account or something? I still log into my computer under the same thing I always have. As far as I know I didn't do anything out of the ordinary that could have caused this.

Edited by fizzgig, 16 February 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Click on the Start orb and type folder.

Folder options will appear, right click it and choose Run as administrator.

When Folder Options open click on the View tab.

Click on the button for Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Click on Apply, then click on OK.

Can you see your files now?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fizzgig

fizzgig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

When I get to the View tab, I know I'm supposed to be seeing things there, but there's nothing. I can't check or uncheck anything because there's nothing there.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Click on the link below.  This will download a fix, open it and extract the file and run it.

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/163156d1263564180/folderoptions-vista.zip

#7 fizzgig

fizzgig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

I downloaded it, how do I extract a file and run it? When I click on it nothing seems to happen. It says access to the zipped folder is denied.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

It automatically downloads, you will have to open the downloads in your browser at access it.

If you don't know how to do this, post the browser you are using.

#9 fizzgig

fizzgig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I am using Firefox, and I tried to attach a file of what it looks like when I click on it, but when I go to attatch it it's not there.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

#11 fizzgig

fizzgig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Right that's the problem. I cant attach anything because when I go to attach there's nothing in my documents. So I'm assumming whatever is hiding my files is hiding everything.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Go to Start and click on Switch User.  If there is another administrator account this would be the default.  Let me know what you find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users