Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unhiding folders on C drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

My stinking computer has a folder hidden on it and I can't unhide it. Searching my libraries I can find the file I want. But trying to import data from an Access DB to SQL Server I have to specify the location of the file and I can't get there. I have checfked the sub folder to make sure there is nothing hidden on it, but the Attributes under Properties has the Hidden check mark unchecked. I can't get to the hidden folder to unhide it because it is hidden. I checked Permissions and made sure I have everything. After all, I am the stinkin owner of this machine. I can't find a place to tell my machine that I am in charge of all files and folders on Drive C. This security BS is about to make me insane.

Furthermore, when I set up the machine I hit the "OK" button and then later realized I had left the last letter off my own name! I have pretty much ignored it, but sometimes I wonder if there isn't a way to correct that throughout the computer without causing problems.

How do I get the hidden folder to show up with my permissions enabled on that folder?

How can I take control of this machine? It's mine, I bought it, I own it, I should be the ultimate master of it.

Thanks to all of you who can understand Microsoft's approach to logic.

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

What is the name of the folder?

#3 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Have a look at this.....http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/page/2/ use the "show hidden" utility. Personally I haven't used it...but it's worth a shot.

#4 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

The folder is named Documents. Turns out it is the same folder as My Documents. Strange, two names, same location, but I guess Microsoft has a reason for that. I get tired of my computer telling me "Access Denied" when I try to open sertain folders. There is no reasoning supplied, just a terse message as though I am breaking into something. I got so frustrated this morning that I had to write here and seek guidance from more level headed people.

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,955 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Does this folder show when system files are unhidden and it shows a shortcut symbol in the corner? See this page.

#6 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

In Windows XP it was named "My Documents" and in Windows 7 it was changed to "Documents". The "My Documents" name is still there in Windows 7 for backwards compatibility but, it's not really a "folder". It's a "Junction Point" that simply points to the new "Documents" folder.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

Windows hides certain directories and extensions it thinks it is a system file. Change the file setting to unhide the files. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/showhiddenfiles.htm Search hidden files directories through dos..http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001039.htm Changing attributes to files in dos..http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/attrib.mspx?mfr=true

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users