Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio suddenly stopped working, "error code 0x000000ff"?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 roadrash03

roadrash03

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:59 AM

I do not know what happened. It just suddenly stopped working one day and now the sound icon in the toolbar has a red "X" on it. When I click on it it runs a trouble shoot which eventually comes up with "ATI High Definition Audio Device has a driver problem." I have tried to go to Realtek and download the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" and run that but it hasn't worked. I also tried to do the driver only download from the website for Windows 7 but that didn't seem to work either. I eventually received a message that stated "Install Realtek HD Audio Diver Failure !! [Error Code : 0x000000FF]." I looked in Windows Update to see if maybe there was a new update for a driver to fix it but it didn't have anything.

I come to you all because it's what I did last time I had an issue and you all were very good to me. You all are a lot more computer savy than I am so you all are able to think of things to solve issues that I never even think about. I really need you alls help. Also, I have heard that this type of information may be important in trying to solve this to by motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3.

Again, please, any help will be much appreciated. I have tried a lot of things but nothing has worked.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doflyjets

doflyjets

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

my guess would be sound card went bad. replace that bad boy! :whistle:

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hi, I know you have tried to find drivers from Realtek, but have you tried drivers from the motherboard makers Gigabyte?

Have a look on their site for that motherboard here :-

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3272#ov

Also the error code could be indicating some system file faults, there is a usefull fix available from this site :-

http://www.retinapost.com/0x000000ff.php

If however none of that works, the sound is on board, and if the chip has died, so therefore no drivers will ever work, the other alternative is to try a cheap sound card, considering that mother board has four PCI slots there are plenty of cheaply available PCI sound cards around that should give you sound back.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 16 February 2014 - 08:43 AM.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hi, I know you have tried to find drivers from Realtek, but have you tried drivers from the motherboard makers Gigabyte?

Have a look on their site for that motherboard here :-

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3272#ov

Also the error code could be indicating some system file faults, there is a usefull fix available from this site :-

http://www.retinapost.com/0x000000ff.php

If however none of that works, the sound is on board, and if the chip has died, so therefore no drivers will ever work, the other alternative is to try a cheap sound card, considering that mother board has four PCI slots there are plenty of cheaply available PCI sound cards around that should give you sound back.

Nev.

Ok so I tried the retinapost site and ran everything there but it still didn't fix anything. I did download the driver from the gigabyte website before but I forgot to mention that. However, I don't know what to do with it. I have it sitting in my download folder but when it asks me where to extract to, I'm not entirely sure where I'm supposed to extract it to when I run it. Any advice?

#5 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Also, I'm completely embarrassed to ask this but I will ask because I really don't know...where is my sound card on my motherboard? Here is a link to have a look at my motherboard if that helps anything. I really don't know what to look for so that I can go about replacing it if that's indeed what ultimately ends up being the problem. I think I have an obvious idea of what it may be (duh, where you plug the audio directly into) but just incase it ends up being something else on the motherboard, I figured I would ask.

Edited by roadrash03, 16 February 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Do you have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 (pre) installed?

Did you download this driver?

yyM3Dof.jpg

Tekken

#7 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Do you have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 (pre) installed?

Did you download this driver?

yyM3Dof.jpg

Ummm...I don't see that. I am in the "High Definition Audio Codecs" section under the downloads tab. Once there, I have tried both the "64bit Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 Driver Only" and also the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" downloads. The ATI HDMI download matches the R2.70 that you have shown but the description, size and date obviously don't match. Am I looking at the wrong spot? Should I be somewhere else?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Try using the driver from the Gigabyte support site same with the image posted above http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3272#dl

Tekken

#9 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Try using the driver from the Gigabyte support site same with the image posted above http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3272#dl

Ok yeah I lied. I did do that one before. It's already in my downloads folder. When I got it there, I double clicked to run and it asked me where to extract to. I selected the program files folder under the C drive. I just ran it again to see what it would do and to replace all folders and files that it had created the first time to see what it would say to me. It ran smoothly and inserted the HD Audio folder but the audio still isn't working.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

Try uninstalling the Audio driver by device manager then reboot and let windows detect and install a generic driver.

Tekken

#11 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ok I tried that. Uninstalled all three. Rebooted and it said that the driver couldn't install. The troubleshoot said "ATI High Definition Audio Device has a driver problem."

Edited by roadrash03, 19 February 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

There could be 2 things were looking here... The AMD ATI HD and Realtek Audio chip. Do you see any default device for Audio to enable/disable? The AMD ATI is for chipset while the Realtek sound drivers is available both in the motherboard support site. What video card brand/model do you have installed?

Tekken

#13 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

There could be 2 things were looking here... The AMD ATI HD and Realtek Audio chip. Do you see any default device for Audio to enable/disable? The AMD ATI is for chipset while the Realtek sound drivers is available both in the motherboard support site. What video card brand/model do you have installed?

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if I have a default device for Audio to enable/disable. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770

Guess this should have been asked in the first place :)

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-overview.aspx#2

Integrated HD audio controller

• Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required

ATI High Definition Audio Device has a driver problem." I have tried to go to Realtek and download the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" and run that but it hasn't worked. I also tried to do the driver only download from the website for Windows 7 but that didn't seem to work either.

Are you connected by HDMI? Did you check the playback devices and how many channel output speakers are connected?

Tekken

#15 roadrash03

roadrash03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770

Guess this should have been asked in the first place :)

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-overview.aspx#2

Integrated HD audio controller

• Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required

ATI High Definition Audio Device has a driver problem." I have tried to go to Realtek and download the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" and run that but it hasn't worked. I also tried to do the driver only download from the website for Windows 7 but that didn't seem to work either.

Are you connected by HDMI? Did you check the playback devices and how many channel output speakers are connected?

Yes, I am connected by HDMI to my computer screen. How do I check the playback devices? I have two speakers that are connected into the audio port in the back of the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users