Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer forcibly restarts every few seconds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Hi! So seemingly randomly, my lenovo y410p will shut down and restart automatically. That is to say, I'll be doing whatever and out of the blue it will completely shut down, making the sound that I'd expect if I just removed the battery. Then after a few seconds it'll turn back on, remain on for anywhere between 5-10 seconds, and then shut down again. It'll keep doing this on and off, occasionally not automatically turning back on, until I'm lucky enough to actually to get it to run and function. Occasionally taking out the battery and using the laptop just on AC power will make it run, but not always, and I'm pretty sure it's just me looking for a solution where there is none. I recently got my computer back from lenovo's service department where they replaced the motherboard, and the problem happened briefly (~2 minutes) but didn't persist for long. I've been using it fine for the past few weeks with no troubles, until I went to sleep with the laptop on and found it off in the morning. Here's the DxDiag just in case: http://pastebin.com/AEyu5H7s

In an effort to fix it I've tried using two different batteries, both of which I know work perfectly fine. I've tried on battery and on AC power and the problem will persist, which leads me to believe it's not a problem with the power supply. I'm not... really sure what else to do, though I did download a minidump toolbox program that I saw was recommended on another forum. I can't really make heads nor tails of it, all it tells me is that the shutdown was unexpected and I've a problem with my performance library, which is weird since I've no idea what would've caused that. Nor, really, what that has to do with anything. The results file is here: http://pastebin.com/YUPUtRvp

In terms of changes, Lenovo did replace the motherboard a few weeks ago, and I recently installed new intel graphics drivers but besides that nada. 

--

My OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit, non-pro version. 

In terms of system specs I have the third computer on this list: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/ the 779$ one. However, I have a Nvidia 750M graphics card instead of the 755, and I cloned windows over onto a Samsung 250gb EVO SSD drive. I'm using a caddy for the 1TB HDD mentioned for spare storage space. That means my C drive is a 250GB SSD (I partitioned 20% of the SSD as free space and made sure that it didn't have a drive letter) and my G drive is the included 1TB HDD. I also have 8 GB RAM, and the i7 4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz. Never overclocked nothing and I haven't the faintest how to. Bios version is 74CN35WW(V1.10) and I've updated windows and checked with windows update and all that jazz. I believe my drivers are up to date too. Here's the speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ajYIW5aDj7tHFOUyNTBf3kw

I also uploaded a video of what I'm talking about: 

Crummy quality but I was recording and uploaded it from my phone, so do forgive me.

Unfortunately this is happening several times per day and has been for the past week or so and I'd really appreciate any help in fixing the problem. It's happening semi-randomly, around 3-4 times per day and basically makes using my computer a gamble. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

Not even going to bother watching the video or looking at the Speccy info, since the later will do nothing, but give those who are curious as to what was installed at the factory or software you installed, is on that machine.

Also DxDiag is only meant for DirectX, not for your case.  Want you need to be doing, is looking in the Events in Administrative tools, and also if there has been any crashes, they will be recorded in the DMP.log, which you can use "Who Crashed", to diagnose.

Also, if you just got it back from Lenovo and it is still doing the same thing as before, I would be on the phone like yesterday, and having them send you a shipping label, to look into the problem.

What are your voltage levels like, for the electrical service, where you are using the laptop?  If they are below the limits that the power company keeps them at (+/- 10 volts), you can also contact your electrical utility to check for problems.

Edited by Greg62702, 16 February 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#3 The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

Ah kay, I've been looking around the internet for anything that could possibly help and basically threw in every bit of info that I'd seen people include. 

I'm looking at the event viewer and the vast majority of the crashes I see are error 1008 with the perflib. I don't know what the dmp.log is (besides a log file obviously), where can I find/create that?

E: To a lesser extent I'm seeing error 1023 and 2004, and occasionally 3009.

Edit2: With regards to lenovo I'm somewhat mistrustful of them. It was at their service center twice last month, the second time because they managed to break the ultrabay connector at the service center and brick the motherboard. Seeing as the computer does work, if sporadically, I'd rather not send it in unless I absolutely had to. With regards to voltage I don't really want to go sticking a multimeter into my apartment's outlets, but I've tried both at my university residence and my apartment , though shouldn't the computer have battery power anyway? 

Edited by The Iron Rose, 16 February 2014 - 03:24 AM.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:43 AM

The Internet is not going to help you with this. You sent it off for repairs and supposidedly Lenovo fixe it, but it still doing g the same as before you sent it to them.

Pick up the telephone and tell them that it is still doing the same as before. If they find that it is due to defective hardware, and it is the second time in the shop, you most likely will get a new unit at that point.

As for checking voltages, those of us that know how to use them have no issue with using them. I have to call my electric utility on Tuesday, due to I have one leg show 10 volts lower then the other. I have no fear of using a DMM to check for electric problems, nor do I have an issue with getting on a company that should have fixed something in the first place.

Edited by Greg62702, 16 February 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#5 The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

Well that was for a different problem, the thermal door had to be replaced. I just want to rule out anything software related before I have to call them again. I'm a student. Being without a computer for three weeks is a major problem for me, especially during midterms. I'd really rather avoid sending it in again if at all possible, and that means trying to resolve the various errors minidump and event viewer are throwing at me. 

And forgive me, but it's been 6 years since I last manually checked voltages and I really don't want to electrocute myself. Even so though, I'm still not sure how it could be a power issue, though that was indeed my first thought. Shouldn't it default to battery power if it's not being charged (and it does indeed charge, my dGPU kicks in, et cetera et cetera). Given I've tried in a variety of locales with two different batteries and cords I don't think it's an electrical supply problem. BUt like I said, I really just want to rule out anything software related before I spend yet more time arguing with lenovo.

#6 stoodius

stoodius

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hey I have the same laptop with the same exact problem. I was wondering if you ever had this issue resolved.

#7 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:02 AM

You could both have the rare infinite reboot cycle bug on 8.1

Robert James Crawley Klopp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users