Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drive won't open

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Scolon

Jack Scolon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I own an e-machines T-1120, WinXP home. I don't know what the CD Drive's model is, but at this point it shouldn't matter. It won't open so I can reinstall my OS. I have an external cd rom that I tried to use to reinstall but it gives me errors like NTLD is missing, operating system cannot be found, something about "Win32.sys"...you know, end of the world type stuff.

Look, I realize this system is outdated. The RAM is insufficient for 2014, although I don't believe this is related in any way. Plus, whenever I get into bios, it tells me the RAM is NOT corrupted. The usual reply is to go out to my back yard and shake my money tree to buy this and buy that. It's not possible. I'd apologize, but that would be stupid. I'm not sorry. I use what I have until it's impossible to use anymore. I'm broke and on top of that, cheap, so please...don't tell me to buy things. You can tell me what I might need that I don't have, which is hinting at buying new things. I'll get it. I don't need anyone to draw me a picture. Pardon that unpleasant statement or request, it's just so common and irritating because why would I post a thread on trying to recover my computer if I could just head right out and buy another one? It's just a lazy response. now then...

I'm not sure whether to make a long story short or a short story long, or if I'm even capable of doing so. but here goes nada...It started with a screen flicker. Did disk checks, found and recovered bad sectors and clusters. Despite this problems continued. So I did several more disk checks and the bad sectors and clusters grew. Went from 24kb to 54kb in a span of 2 days. Backed up the majority of my files online, and it sat online all night but as soon as I turned the browser off, I got a BSOD. This has become common in the last week, at least, and occurred sporadically over the course of the year before doing so frequently. All that was on was my desktop. Same thing happened in safe mode. After trying everything I ever read i decided to reinstall but my main internal CD Drive will not open. I know supposedly it can be forced open, but it literally feels like if i tug to hard it will simply break.

I'm trying to get it open because supposedly the reinstall disk only works with the internal CD drive. However, when I tried doing it externally, it did seem to format the drive and now the operating system cannot be found. So I can't boot into either safe mode or regular mode now.

Despite it's being outdated, I need this computer right now. Any advice will be helpful. Unless it's "buy stuff." 

Thanks-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

Generally there is a small pin hole in the front of most optical drives.  If you straighten a paper clip and lightly push in you can manually open the drive.

If your paper clip is wrapped in plastic you'll have to strip it.  On some emachine / Gateway desktops it can be a little difficult the find, but it should be on the right hand side, 1 - 1 1/2" from the edge of the drive near the bottom.

#3 Jack Scolon

Jack Scolon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Generally there is a small pin hole in the front of most optical drives.  If you straighten a paper clip and lightly push in you can manually open the drive.

If your paper clip is wrapped in plastic you'll have to strip it.  On some emachine / Gateway desktops it can be a little difficult the find, but it should be on the right hand side, 1 - 1 1/2" from the edge of the drive near the bottom.

I've been looking for it to no avail, but will check again. One question, will it just pop open as if my eject button still worked or will I have to pull on it?

And sincerely, I cannot thank you enough for the prompt, respectful reply. Seriously, most other techboards act like you touch children in inappropriate places if you tell them about your outdated specs. This computer is 14 years old. Everything dies, I realize that...but this one is a marine. I've had it for so long, if it had a mouth I'd give it CPR.

Thanks again. Please don't close this thread as I wish to update my progress, or lack there of. 

#4 Jack Scolon

Jack Scolon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

Well, sir, you are king of the internet. Got it open. Keeping it closed is another matter but the first reinstall cd is already almost done. As to the state and future stability of my system...only time will tell. But your advice has served me well.

Thanks again. This can be closed, flushed...whatever.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

One question, will it just pop open as if my eject button still worked or will I have to pull on it?

The commonest cause for not opening is the small rubber drive belt which can usually be seen through the front opening. Commonly it has just stretched with age and doesn't have enough grip to move the drawer. It can be replaced with the correct sized new belt. Unfortunately, some drives aren't designed for such ready access to the belt, and there are other possible causes for not ejecting.

Edited by Platypus, 16 February 2014 - 04:12 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Good to hear you got it open.  As for keeping it shut, there's only one solution I've ever come across, and that's simply holding it closed for a few seconds.  Usually this will work, but somtimes you run into the issue where the drive opens and closes over and over. I haven't found a solution for that, but then I've never really bothered.  I work at a computer shop with dozens of them just laying around and replace them when that happens.

If you need a drive I would look on e-bay.  You should be able to get a basic DVD drive for around $20 with shipping.  Most retailers are going to mark up even the basic drive to $35-$40, but it is a convenience fee...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users