Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware failure, how can I tell?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stuffed

Stuffed

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

I have this ongoing problem for 2 years. About two minutes after start up the computer will either freeze or show the blue screen of death and shutdown. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all and on other occasions it may take 10 to 15 attempts to get the computer working. This problem only ever happens after about two minutes, once I get passed that the computer will operate all day without a problem.

What I have done in the past to try and get rid of the problem is to format my system (windows7), which is a pain because it deletes everything. That has resolved the problem for a few months and then the problem returns. I have formatted my drive a number of times, the problem still exits. Here I am writing this message and the computer is working fine, tomorrow when I start the computer it may start without issues, it may crash numerous times, I think the most times it has crashed consecutively is about 20 times.

So what is the problem, is it my harddrive, is it my CPU motherboard, is it the power supply?

I don't have a clue. I am stuffed.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Stuffed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

From windows (you can do this in safe mode if needed) please run who crashed:

We need to analyze your operating system's crash dump files to further diagnose what could possibly be crashing your computer system.

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

System Information (local)

computer name: ROB-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: Aspire M3800, Acer, EG43M
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 4294066176 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1987137536

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 13/02/2014 6:03:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021314-17175-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF88001345BF9) 
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA7FC0B32073, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88001345BF9, 0x7)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Thu 13/02/2014 6:03:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr!FltAcquirePushLockShared+0x499) 
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA7FC0B32073, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88001345BF9, 0x7)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Thu 13/02/2014 6:03:33 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021314-21668-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown () 
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. 
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Thu 13/02/2014 5:53:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\021314-15553-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0) 
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x6B2FA60, 0xB, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80003670E32)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information. 

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

Do you have an anti virus installed? Can you also please run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

I am running mcafee anti virus software

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K2ySF3UR5CBIhc567tW5H7W

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

I would recommend running a memory test to rule out ram as a cause. You can download it here: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) or from their website here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

After downloading burn the entire zip to a disc and then boot from the disc. I run 3 passes which can take an hour or more. The crash dumps do not show anything specific, it may be related to your anti-virus. You can try to uninstall that and see if it fixes the problem. Just be sure you have the ability to re-install it first.

#7 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

Not sure if I have got this right, downloaded the file and burnt to a disk, restarted the computer hit F12 and selected to book from disk, the computer started as normal, I repeated that 3 times? It took 5 minutes, what do you mean or what should be happening with 3 passes which can take more than an hour, excuse me for ignorance or misunderstanding. What sort of memory test should be happening?

Again not really sure about the anti-virus, there are days when my computer crashes and there are days when it doesn't crash, how is the anti-virus affecting that, if there is no consistency to the problem. Should I just get rid of McAfee and just some free anti-virus, I don't really want run void of anti-virus.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

It should boot to a blue screen like these:

i875-small.gif

Memtest86+ V1.00 on i875P

nf2-small.gif

Memtest86+ V1.00 on nForce2

amd64-small.gif

Memtest86+ V1.00 on AMD64

Did you unzip the file before burning it? I believe you do not want to do that. Just burn the enitre zipped file to a disc.

You can try to uninstall Mcaffee, I have seen it cause crashes before. First run memtest86 to rule out the ram. If it passes my next step would be to uninstall mcaffee.

Edited by zingo156, 21 February 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#9 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

I ran the memtest, no problems. I haven't tried uninstalling McAfee, it is due to expire soon anyway, might just run some free stuff instead. This crashing problem has always been eradicate. It hasn't crashed for a week now. My internal harddrive was full, so I got rid of a lot of files to free up space and for what ever reason that may have helped.

My query would be can it be safely determined that I don't have a faulty hardware problem, ie, harddrive, powersupply, motherboard etc? What could you safely say is not the problem?  

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Memtest86 passed so your ram is not the cause. It could still be hard drive related. Speccy smart data said the drive was ok, but smart data is not always 100% accurate. If you can get the make and model of the hard drive you can run a hard drive scan with the makes software. Both seagate and Western digital offer these for free. The one that I usually use is called MHDD. It is a bit tricky to learn to use and you have to run the test with the bios sata setting set to IDE or Compatibility. Likely it is set at ahci. Then when the test is done you have to switch that back. You can learn about MHDD here: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

It might be easier to determine the exact make and model of the main bootable hard drive. I would recommend uninstalling Mcaffee and see if that changes anything. If it fixes the problem I recommend installing something like Microsoft Security Essentials which is free for any windows computer.

#11 rebbael

rebbael

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hi!

You could try out CCleaner and HDD Regenerator. As I see it, you said that for a few days your PC on Windows works, but then you installed something that's making a conflict. CCleaner for registry clean, or any other one of your preferance, and HDD Regenerator or Acronis Disk Director to thouroughly defragment the disk.

P.S. If you don't have a habit of making 2 partitions on the drive your OS is on, make it. I know it's a major hassle wiping everything off, so when reinstalling you just have to delete the partiton where the OS was on, all else can stay on the secondary. Mind you, some installed software, games will not work if they're installed on the 2nd partition because of the registry in Windows.

Cheers.

#12 Stuffed

Stuffed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

Another day and another day without a crash. The only change I have made is to free up space on my internal harddrive. I ran HDD regenerator, no issues. I suppose I am none the wiser about the actual root of this problem. If it reoccurs then as I have done before I will just keep rebooting until it runs, or maybe I will just add it to landfill and get a replacement. Thanks for your advice and assistance.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

The other thing I might recommend is trying to run linux, something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

It very well could be an issue with windows... Sometimes windows updates will install a driver that causes problems. You can go to the manufacturers website and update all of them possible, sometimes this will help.

Linux will help to rule out a software problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users