Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp file and printer sharing to win 7 and osx problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Northwinds

Northwinds

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hi all

Just wasted half my weekend - Saturday - on something I'd hoped was pretty straightforward.

I got the old 32bit win xp sp3 pro chugging away for emails and other depreciated programs on an old self build.

Thought it would be nice to get the attached usb printer up and running for my win 7 and osx systems to print to over the local network....... bad move!!!!

Spent most of today fiddling around with all kinds of stuff including the Computer Browser Service that wouldn't start on xp - which I eventually fixed but with no joy re fixing the bigger issue!

All other systems can see the xp systems name on the network but can't connect to any of the shared folders or the printer.

Went though all the various netbios, microsoft client.......etc settings suggested on a shed load of forums but nothing!

Disabled firewalls and security and all.

Tried pinging back and forth - xp can ping the others but the others timeout pinging in to xp.

nslookup however recognises ans resolves the xp name against its ip.

Really don't know how to fix this.

Has turned into a real pain in  the butt!

All suggestions as to how to sort this will be warmly appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2014 - 07:49 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Try using the Windows 7 Machine as the printer machine.

#3 Northwinds

Northwinds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

Unfortunately not possible re very tight layout in flat unless I want 3 metre usb cables trailing.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure I understand the problem :), which is not unusual.

If the Win 7 install is networked to the XP install....you should be able to simply share the printer.

How To Share Files and Printers Between Windows 7 and Vista - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

Louis

#5 Northwinds

Northwinds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thanks hamluis, I'll check those links.

All computers are on the same workgroup and wired to the same reuter.

Ironically my girlfriend's laptop in the next room (xp as well) is visible and connectable (the shared folders) from the win 7 whereas my xp (with the printer attached) is visible but not accessible.

I've tried shutting off firewalls and security but no joy.

As it turns out I can ping win 7 from my xp but pinging from win 7 to my xp just times out.

Like I said I will check your links but any other ideas are very welcome thanks!

#6 Northwinds

Northwinds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the advice but I've tried everything in the links already.

It couldn't have anything to do with my router could it?

Any suggestions on any further trouble shooting to locate the issue?

Thanks again.

#7 AbsolutoCaos

AbsolutoCaos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the advice but I've tried everything in the links already.

It couldn't have anything to do with my router could it?

Any suggestions on any further trouble shooting to locate the issue?

Thanks again.

Hi,

could you verify if this setting is checked?

windows-simple-file-sharing.png

If not checked, check it and see if your able to access shared folders/printer from other device.

Edited by AbsolutoCaos, 16 February 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#8 pwf119

pwf119

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hi, these suggestions are probably longshots...

1.  Did you reboot the xp pc after turning off windows firewall, sometimes it needs that.

2.  If you open a command prompt on the windows 7 pc ( search box->type cmd->hit enter ) and type arp -a [then hit enter], do you see the ip address and mac address of the xp pc ?

3.  Can you double check all of the installed programs on the xp pc to make sure you did not have another sneaky firewall program installed?

4.  Can you connect the windows 7 and windows xp pc's directly with a network cable (avoiding the router) and then ping the xp pc from the win7 pc?  If you do this, you will have to wait until each pc auto-configures their ip addresses.  You would have to then ping the xp's new auto-configured ip address.

#9 Northwinds

Northwinds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the replies!

AbsolutoCaos, yes I've tried both simple and advanced file sharing settings on the xp machine, but thanks for the heads up!

pwf119,

re number 1) yes - I'm actually iusing Esey Security 6 on the xp - had the windows firewall off for a long time -but tried with Eset disabled and also on but with all the relevant ports opened.

re 2) I didn't know this command but it only returns ips for my router and my freenas box on the network - not the xp machine

re 3) very sure re no other security apps - did a very thorough cleanse.

re 4) that would have to wait a few days as it will involve rearranging the living room :-(

Thanks, any other thoughts?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Run this on both machines:

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

And post both results in separate posts.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Networking XP and Windows 7 generally is a pain to get it all working correctly and then throwing a printer into the mix. The machine sharing the printer has to be online before any others can print. There lies the dilemma, a service may also have not started properly and it potentially breaks everything. It's probably better to get a network/wifi printer and take that part out of the equation.

#12 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hi all

Just wasted half my weekend - Saturday - on something I'd hoped was pretty straightforward.

I got the old 32bit win xp sp3 pro chugging away for emails and other depreciated programs on an old self build.

Thought it would be nice to get the attached usb printer up and running for my win 7 and osx systems to print to over the local network....... bad move!!!!

Spent most of today fiddling around with all kinds of stuff including the Computer Browser Service that wouldn't start on xp - which I eventually fixed but with no joy re fixing the bigger issue!

All other systems can see the xp systems name on the network but can't connect to any of the shared folders or the printer.

Went though all the various netbios, microsoft client.......etc settings suggested on a shed load of forums but nothing!

Disabled firewalls and security and all.

Tried pinging back and forth - xp can ping the others but the others timeout pinging in to xp.

nslookup however recognises ans resolves the xp name against its ip.

Really don't know how to fix this.

Has turned into a real pain in  the butt!

All suggestions as to how to sort this will be warmly appreciated.

Cheers!

@ Northwinds:

I own and operate a digital recording studio running DAW in Win7 Pro/64 and also still use XP Pro/32 on a second PC for biz and the running of my older 32 Bit hardware.

After I tell you how to inexpensively and simply solve this problem, I expect at least one of your future grandchildren to be named after me :)

Buy a multi-port KVM switching device. Keep your old self build as is. KVM switch to Win7 when you need to. In some cases, you'll be able to also dual screen. But, KVM's allowing that could seem a bit pricey. Here are some ideas and price ranges for you:

TRENDnet TK-407K (about $70. U.S.):
https://www.trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=150_TK-407K

StarTech SV431DD2DUA KVM:

These are just examples. Either price point will still allow you to control two, or more PC's, using one keyboard and mouse. Even if you go with the StarTech KVM at the suggested price, it's still cheaper than being forced to replace your 32 Bit printer and scanner with a 64 Bit upgrade in order to network into Win7. A waste of money and a waste of time.

KVM is the way to go!

Good luck!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 18 February 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#13 Northwinds

Northwinds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestion - and interesting comment on KVM, windummy - I will have a look into that.

I was about to go with cryptodan's suggestion when I got to thinking what if.......?

I decided to do some system housework and try to search for any previous security software that perhaps hadn't properly uninstalled and had left any little presents....

Turns out Comodo was the problem - took it off ages ago but it left all kinds of drivers and registry entries all over the place!

Stinking software that does that - will be steering well clear of them in the future!

Anyway after I cleared that out every machine on my network can now see and print to the xp attached printer!

Brilliant!

Thanks for all your ideas and encouragement - it's what got me thinking in the right direction!

Cheers!

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I was about to go with cryptodan's suggestion when I got to thinking what if.......?

I decided to do some system housework and try to search for any previous security software that perhaps hadn't properly uninstalled and had left any little presents....

Turns out Comodo was the problem - took it off ages ago but it left all kinds of drivers and registry entries all over the place!
Stinking software that does that - will be steering well clear of them in the future!

That is exactly what I was going to suggest based upon the minitoolbox results.

#15 Northwinds

Northwinds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Many thanks to you all!  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users