Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation for a Display Card

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 larrychu

larrychu

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

After formatting my HDD and reinstalling Windows, my PC could not boot in Normal mode. After a series of tests, it was found that my onboard display is faulty (Details could be found in this thread):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522844/windows-7-startup-repair-offline-bad-driver/

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H, could anyone please recommend a display card that goes with this MB, reasonably priced and with ok quality? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

that is socket 1155, which is ivy gen. is the cpu an i-3?

if it is an i-5 or an i-7, then by all means the sky is the limit.    within reason, an hd 7770 or a gtx 650 is within a decent price/performance range. actually, it is as good as it gets.  after that it goes into the 660/7870 territory and beyond, which gets pricey.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

A card based on an Nvidia Geforce GT 610 or Radeon HD 6450 would be OK as a substitute for the on processor graphics. Cheap too. But I can't help feeling it's not a very satisfactory solution as the Intel HD graphics (which are provided by the CPU and generally very reliable) should just work. If they don't, why not, is what I'm wondering.

Have you published a snapshot with Speccy as part of your fault finding so far? If not, this might help us to identify problems.. Also it would be interesting to see if the graphics work with a Live Linux distribution, like Linux Mint, which has its own drivers, completely independent of Windows. If that didn't work either that would add weight to the argument that it's a genuine hardware problem, as opposed to a Windows or driver problem.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

right on, i haven't beared witness to onboard video being at fault due to hardware. it very well may be an OS condition or a BIOS setting. this is the hd4000 flavor, i think its discreet equivalent may be around the 610/6450 level.

#5 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

Yes, my cpu is an i-3 one...

So if I mainly use my computer for watching movies, YouTube, Facebook, word processing, etc... Which display card would be more appropriate for me?

#6 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

A card based on an Nvidia Geforce GT 610 or Radeon HD 6450 would be OK as a substitute for the on processor graphics. Cheap too. But I can't help feeling it's not a very satisfactory solution as the Intel HD graphics (which are provided by the CPU and generally very reliable) should just work. If they don't, why not, is what I'm wondering.

Have you published a snapshot with Speccy as part of your fault finding so far? If not, this might help us to identify problems.. Also it would be interesting to see if the graphics work with a Live Linux distribution, like Linux Mint, which has its own drivers, completely independent of Windows. If that didn't work either that would add weight to the argument that it's a genuine hardware problem, as opposed to a Windows or driver problem.

Haven't tried Speccy to identify the problem. Let me do it later and post here.

#7 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

Haven't tried Speccy to identify the problem. Let me do it later and post here.

right on, i haven't beared witness to onboard video being at fault due to hardware. it very well may be an OS condition or a BIOS setting. this is the hd4000 flavor, i think its discreet equivalent may be around the 610/6450 level.

If the Intel HD Graphics is provided by CPU, does it mean that the CPU is somehow faulty? Let me summarize what I experienced with my computer below:

1) There have been some problems with my computer that prevented my computer (Windows 7, English version) from shutting down or restarting

2) I formatted HDD and tried to reinstall Windows 7 x 64 bit (Chinese version)

3) unable to reinstall Windows and I converted HDD into a GPT one

4) installed and verified Windows 7 successfully and installed Windows updates, then restarted the computer

5) Windows couldn't start up since then because of "Bad Driver"

6) performed a series of tests and the only fault identified was with the Intel HD Graphics. Once Intel HD Graphics is disabled, Windows could boot in Normal mode

#8 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

This is the snapshot with Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/naxIqKsnSZE31ytpjDUrdtx

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Great, thanks :)

It's important that the correct graphics driver is installed.  I just wonder if maybe an incompatible one has been installed at some point.  The Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge drivers are different.  As you have a Sandy Bridge CPU (with integrated HD 2000 graphics) this is the one you need for 64-bit Windows 7, from Gigabyte website - http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_vga_intel_64_7series_snb.exe

Before installing that, I would first uninstall from your system:

Intel® OpenCL CPU Runtime (x32 Version:  - Intel Corporation)
Intel® Processor Graphics (x32 Version: 8.15.10.2712 - Intel Corporation)

(obtained from your installed programs list posted here)

This page on Gigabytes site should show all the latest correct drivers for your motherboard (choose Windows 7 64 bit in the dropdown menu, if not already selected) - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4803#driver

Edited by jonuk76, 16 February 2014 - 12:24 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

So if I mainly use my computer for watching movies, YouTube, Facebook, word processing, etc... Which display card would be more appropriate for me?

i would choose the 7770 (or maybe even an older pre-owned 5770) for a media card as the stream processor count is in a very idealistic range, and then it gets better, it can be used in another capacity later on.

anyway, the one hardware mismatch i can think of for your hd4000 to be hosing up like that is your system RAM. onboard video is using it like crazy and if it isn't correctly matched, there could be a function denial. otherwise, it very well could be in the OS or BIOS that some setting isn't correct.

#11 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

i would choose the 7770 (or maybe even an older pre-owned 5770) for a media card as the stream processor count is in a very idealistic range, and then it gets better, it can be used in another capacity later on.

anyway, the one hardware mismatch i can think of for your hd4000 to be hosing up like that is your system RAM. onboard video is using it like crazy and if it isn't correctly matched, there could be a function denial. otherwise, it very well could be in the OS or BIOS that some setting isn't correct.

I concur with your diagnosis about RAM. One of the reasons why I had to format my HDD and reinstall windows was because my PC got frozen very easily.

#12 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

It's important that the correct graphics driver is installed.  I just wonder if maybe an incompatible one has been installed at some point.  The Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge drivers are different.  As you have a Sandy Bridge CPU (with integrated HD 2000 graphics) this is the one you need for 64-bit Windows 7, from Gigabyte website - http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_vga_intel_64_7series_snb.exe

This page on Gigabytes site should show all the latest correct drivers for your motherboard (choose Windows 7 64 bit in the dropdown menu, if not already selected) - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4803#driver

Thanks for suggestion. I'll try it out after work.

#13 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

SORRY, may I know how to uninstall the following from my PC? I couldn't locate them... Thanks!

Intel® OpenCL CPU Runtime (x32 Version: - Intel Corporation)

So what should I do to deal with the potential hardware mismatch? As mentioned, my PC got frozen very easily before I formatted the HDD and reinstalled Windows. Thanks for your help!

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Are the Intel items not in the "Programs and Features" list of installed programs in Programs section of Control Panel?  Similar to this:

UUss7xA.png

If so just select each item and choose uninstall.  If prompted to restart the computer then do that as necessary.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 larrychu

larrychu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

No, the two Intel items are not under this list..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users