Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

add win 7 to xp pro on same partition

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

Louis, I presently have enough space on my c:\ drive (where xp pro is installed) to load win 7.  Will following this procedure create a new partition with a new letter, or just a new folder for win 7, and still be part of the xp pro partition?   When I remove the xp pro, I want to continue booting from my c:\drive.    esmo

Sorry, I know you're asking Louis, but if I understand you correctly, there is a good chance that installing windows 7 to "c drive" will completely wipe out your windows xp and all your files and programs. You can't install windows 7 "on top of" windows xp and have them still both work side by side in the same directory structure on the same "C" drive. And I don't think the win7 installer will give you an option to partition your drive (ala partition magic or gparted or whatever people do) so that xp can stay on in it's own partition and win7 in a new partition. It will probably just ask you if you want to completely delete what's on C drive and replace it with win7.

I suggested installing win7 to a new hard drive, but if you really want to do it on the same hard drive, the first thing you will need to do is figure out how to partition the drive without harming the existing XP partition. So you'd make C drive smaller, and then create a 2nd partition on the same drive. I don't know how or if that can be done because I've never tried to do it. And if you do find out how, be careful because I bet some day when you format the XP partition, you'll lose the windows 7 master boot record and no longer be able to boot to win7. There are apparently ways to deal with that, but I'm not knowledgeable about them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Sorry to disagree, bludshot, but that's EXACTLY what I did with my laptop. I had a good, running edition of XP SP3 on it. I reduced that partition (on a 640GB disk) to 60GB. I made another partition behind XP of 80GB and a final one on the rest of the disk. Once those were set, I deleted the middle partition using the Win 7 installation disk utilities (and YES, they are available during partition selection for the install, just like XP) and installed Win 7 SP1 32-bit on it.

The installation went perfectly and the boot loader now asks which OS I want to start. The third partition was set up as a common data disk (drive d) The original XP partition now shows up under Win 7 as drive E and is accessible. Likewise for the Win 7 partition under XP. Remember to install the Win 7 drivers for your machine when Win 7 is installed and running.

#18 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

Sorry to disagree, bludshot, but that's EXACTLY what I did with my laptop. I had a good, running edition of XP SP3 on it. I reduced that partition (on a 640GB disk) to 60GB. I made another partition behind XP of 80GB and a final one on the rest of the disk. Once those were set, I deleted the middle partition using the Win 7 installation disk utilities (and YES, they are available during partition selection for the install, just like XP) and installed Win 7 SP1 32-bit on it.

The installation went perfectly and the boot loader now asks which OS I want to start. The third partition was set up as a common data disk (drive d) The original XP partition now shows up under Win 7 as drive E and is accessible. Likewise for the Win 7 partition under XP. Remember to install the Win 7 drivers for your machine when Win 7 is installed and running.

That's exactly right and if done right how you should end up with a dual boot....and how I have mine set up. I'm daul booting Windows 7 and 8/with upgrade to 8.1.

#19 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

basfisher6522:
Good for you. That's how I found out how to correct the ReFS problem with Windows 8. Once set up as dual boot with windows 7 (installed and running first), my data disk (D) was no longer corrupted by Win 8.

I eventually decided that the Win 8 install was wasted on a desktop so I deleted it and reverted the whole system to Win 7 with an SSD for the boot drive. My normal 2M35S boot time was reduced to 23 SECONDS! Amazing. Anyway, dual boot works well for both XP and Win 7.

BTW, if you are dual booting XP with W7 or W8, and after the Patch Tuesday updates on April 8, when you run XP, disconnect the network from your machine, or turn off WiFi if a laptop. Don't forget or you'll surely get stung by the bad guys.

#20 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Sorry to disagree, ...

You're not really disagreeing, I just said I didn't think the win7 installer gave you the option to re-jig the partitions, but you say it does, so, great. Re-jigging the partitions like that is exactly what I'm suggesting (if he only wants to use one drive), I just thought he would have to use a 3rd party program to do it. And you certainly aren't running win7 and xp on the same partition, which is actually what the OP wanted to do :P

Now davnel, if you format your XP drive will win7 still boot?

#21 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

OK, if you reformat the XP partition, AND NOT THE MBR (ie: don't delete the partitions on the disk), then the Win 7 partition will still boot. The boot manager will still present the boot menu and you will get an error if you select the nonexistent XP to boot from.

I had one whirlydisk set up to dual boot Win 7 and Win 8. I decided two things; first, I didn't like Win 8 on the desktop, and wanted to remove it. Second, I wanted to change the boot device to an SSD. Win 7 was installed first, with it's 100MB System Reserved partition, on a 160GB partition. Win 8 was installed on a second 160GB partition following Win 7.

I first deleted the Win 8 partition, then removed Win 8 from the boot menu using the free DualBoot utility . The Win 7 image on the disk was stretched to 240GB total to match the SSD. After testing, I made an Acronis image of the boot drive and installed that on the SSD. It worked fine. My mobo has a socket for an mSATA drive that can be booted from, winch is where the boot image went.

Edited by davnel, 21 February 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#22 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

Louis, re message 13

I tried to send 2 messages to you, but a notification that some sort of cloud program had disconnected me from bleeping computer.  The only way I could get back in was by activating a two day old restore point. These messages may be duplicates.

re message 13: 

I stand corrected.  Of course I meant partition.  I have a win 7 install disk.  I have enough space for win 7 in the partition where xp pro is installed. I want to be sure that this will not create a new partition with a new letter.  What will happen if I simply run the win 7 install?  When I remove the xp pro, will I still boot win 7 from C?  esmo

#23 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Louis, re message 14

I can understand that for forum internal use an email address is not needed.  However, how can you notity me of any replies received for my posts?  I can't change the address because this is the account I use, and have been using for years.  Is there any way to reactivate it?  esmo

#24 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

No one here has changed your email address...we do not have that ability, your ISP is the only one who can do such.

Email addresses are not normally posted in topics or posts...since such invites spam for the poster.  We remove such from posts as a courtesy.

You don't seem to be focusing on what was done...why it was done...or the results of such.

Louis

#25 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Of course I meant partition.  I have a win 7 install disk.  I have enough space for win 7 in the partition where xp pro is installed. I want to be sure that this will not create a new partition with a new letter.  What will happen if I simply run the win 7 install?

Like I said, you cannot install win 7 in the same partition where xp is installed (and have them both still live and operate there)! You cannot do what you want to do.

What will happen if you run the win 7 install, is that it will want you to specify a partition to install it to. If you tell it to install it to the XP partition, it will format and wipe out your XP and all your programs and files, and install win 7 there.

When I remove the xp pro, will I still boot win 7 from C?  esmo

You will never get to that point, because this can't be done in the first place.

#26 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Windows will play nice if the oldest Windows OS is installed first, then make a new partition and place win7 on that one. The thing with windows is that each install of windows wants to write to the MBR and place itself as the first boot. Since there are good tools out there now it doesn't matter which os is installed first. You just boot into the one that does boot and download easyBCD which has the ability to edit and re-write the data to the MBR. Windows comes with a BCDedit, but who wants to create a boot loader all in the cli? Not me lol.

There is also another method to have multiple operating systems. Installing each OS on it's seperate HD having a JBOD (just a bunch of disks). I do this myself since I had a pile of older HD's, I thrown in a pci controller card and have 6 IDE HD's jammed in a old box. To boot into the systems I use the bios's special function key to load the drive selection menu. It has the same concept as a boot loader. The beauty of using seperate drives is that if one fails I don't lose everything. Each disk is also backed up. I had a drive failure not to long ago it was a old 20gig. Since I had a drive backup I swapped it out and use True Image to recover. About 9 minutes later It's back online. As far as the dead drive, It makes a good windchime and good refrigerator magnets. :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users