Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

add win 7 to xp pro on same partition

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 esmo

esmo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

Presently running xp pro.  Want to add win 7 on same partition which has enough free space to accimodatw win 7. This without losing any exixting programs or files..  Must I first create some unallocated space, or will the installation procedure create a location for win 7 automatically?  The object is to delete the xp as soon win 7 is running to my satisfaction.  Do you recommend the addition of easy bcd?  My email has been out for two days and my service provider cannot guarantee when it will be back in service.  If possible, please send copies of any replies to (email address removed) as well as to (email address removed).  Many thanks.  esmo

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 February 2014 - 07:39 PM.
removed email addresses

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hello esmo. Your email addresses were removed because it's possible spammers could see it and use it to send you spam.

You can change the email address associated with your Bleeping Computer Account. If you subscribe to a topic you will be notified via email when someone replies.

IF you want to change the email address here click on the drop down arrow next to your name in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Choose My Settings. Then click Email & Password. Follow the directions. Please note that you will have to re-activate your account after changing your email address.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

You can't do it like that esmo. Don't install win7 to the same partition as XP. Personally, I wouldn't even install win7 on a different partition of the same drive, because win7 will do crazy things like put the boot record on some random partition (for example, on your XP partition; it doesn't ask you where to put it, and it doesn't necessarily put it in the partition you're actually installing win7 to, even though you would assume it would!) and then when you have win7 set up the way you like, and you format the xp partition, boom, win7 won't boot anymore because you deleted the boot record.

My advice, (and this is what I literally just did a few weeks ago, except with Vista not win7), disconnect all of the drives in your computer (power and data), and then only connect one new drive (or a drive that you don't mind completely deleting), and do a fresh install of win7 on that drive, partitioning and formatting the whole drive in the process. That way win7 won't go sticking it's boot record on some other random drive, because they aren't even connected.

Then, hook all the harddrives back up again, and just use the bios harddrive boot order to choose which drive to boot to, the old XP drive or the new win7 drive. Then in a few weeks/months when your win7 is all set and your xp drive stuff all copied over and backed up, you can cleanly format the xp disk.

Also, what I did in computer management of both xp and win7, is hide each windows drive from each other. That way neither windows nor programs will stick any junk on the other windows drive. Then I have a 3rd drive that is purely a file storage drive (you could use a USB stick for this), which both xp and win7 (well, Vista in my case) can see, and that I can pass files across that way. I figure it's the poor man's way of setting up a "new PC" while still being able to use the "old pc".

EDIT: Also I noticed you want to do this "without losing any exixting programs", that is, you want to just put win7 on top of xp and have your other software still installed and usable. It doesn't work like that _at all_. Any software you want to use on the new win7, you have to install again on win7 from the installation files (or discs), you can't copy over the files of *already installed* softwares.

Edited by bludshot, 16 February 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

You cannot install Win 7 on the same partition as an existing different version of Windows...but, if the current partition has enough space, you can create an additional partition, after reducing the size of the current partition...and then install Win 7.

Actually, you don't even have to create a new partition, just reduce the size of the current partition so that there is enough unallocated space to create a partition for the new install.

Louis

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

Louis, is there a way to get win7 to put its boot record on the win7 partition (and to know that it did)? What if it puts it on the xp partition, and then in a few weeks they format the xp partition. Won't win7 cease to boot? I noticed this odd behaviour of win7 a while back and I really don't know the ins and outs of it.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

Louis, is there a way to get win7 to put its boot record on the win7 partition (and to know that it did)? What if it puts it on the xp partition, and then in a few weeks they format the xp partition. Won't win7 cease to boot? I noticed this odd behaviour of win7 a while back and I really don't know the ins and outs of it.

Boot record doesn't resides on any partitions but in the sector zero of the HDD and it is called the Master Boot Record. An MBR will contain the code to load the "OS loader" as well as the "Partition Table" itself. It's location is fixed and can't be changed. When you install XP, setup will write NT 5.0 MBR code which contains instructions to load "NTLDR" boot loader from the "Active" partition. When you install Vista, 7 or 8, it will write NT 6.0 MBR which contains instructions to load "BOOTMGR" boot loader. Since "Windows XP" is unaware about NT6 family operating systems, it is normal for XP setup to overwrite the MBR written by 7 or 8 thus destroying the ability to dual boot.  

If you re-installed XP and lost dual boot functionality, EasyBCD will help.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 February 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

FWIW:  EasyBCD is a utility that alllows a user with a Win 7 install to recognize all Windows installs on the system.  In the event that your XP install is not automatically included as a dual-boot.  My experience is that Win 7 just overwrites the XP boot files but picks up an existing XP install as part of a dual-boot when Win 7 is installed properly on a system reflecting a xP install.

All you have to do is boot into the new Win 7 install, download/install EasyBCD and it will allow you properly recognize both installs and modify the boot files so that you can dual-boot.

Dual-Boot Existing XP Install

Louis

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Oh ok, so win7's MBR is bound to a physical drive and doesn't relate to logical partition drive letters (I didn't know that, because I never deal with multiple drive partitions on a single physical drive - I decided many years ago that they were more trouble than they are worth, especially because I never had an actual need for them).

I installed win7 on a machine that had 4 physical harddrives, let's call them C, D, E, and F. During the win7 installation, I told it to install to C. It did, but it put the MBR on F drive without telling me about that or asking me where to put it. The user routinely swapped out storage hard drives, formatted his drives, all that kind of stuff, so, soon afterwards he removed F drive from the machine, and win7 wouldn't boot anymore. Since then, I make sure only one harddrive is hooked up before I install win7.

Thanks for the new info.

Edited by bludshot, 16 February 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

During the win7 installation, I told it to install to C. It did, but it put the MBR on F drive without telling me about that or asking me where to put it

If there are multiple hard drive on the system, Windows will write it's boot loader to the first hard drive's MBR. First hard drive will be the one which is connected to the first port. For example, if there is three SATA ports in the MoBo, first drive will be the one connected to the port one. Windows will only write it's boot loader to second or third drive if there is no "Active" partition is found on the first drive ( if all drives are "Logical" partitions ). This behavior is same for all OS including XP, Vista , 7, 8 and Linux.   

What you usually do is what i also recommends. Plug only one hard drive at the time of install and connect others after installation finished.

#10 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

I use this draw, CD-ROM space 3.5 SATA HDD Mobile Rack  i have 3 hdd's one for each of the os systems i run

with this setup no problems arise with boot loaders and all my data stored on a internal hdd that all systems use..

I have tried the dual partition s and dual boot and when one of the o.s.systems playsup .one loses the enjoyment pc's give

also i use Nortons Ghost  for all my system backup of os partitions..

#11 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Louis, I presently have enough space on my c:\ drive (where xp pro is installed) to load win 7.  Will following this procedure create a new partition with a new letter, or just a new folder for win 7, and still be part of the xp pro partition?   When I remove the xp pro, I want to continue booting from my c:\drive.    esmo

#12 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

I do noit want to change my address, so I filled in the change form using my old information, but did not get the opportunity to confirm the change.  Now I noth that my name is not on the member list, and the active subject I have been working on was moved from where it was and I could not add additional information to it.  How do I get vack to normal? 

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2014 - 12:34 PM.
Email address removed - Hamluis.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Response to Post #!!

I have no idea what you are trying to convey.

Do you have a Win 7 install disk?

In a dualboot situaiton...the Windows which is booted into is always C:.  When the other is booted into, it becomes C:.

There is no C: drive, it is a partition on a drive which has more than 1 partition

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

I do noit want to change my address, so I filled in the change form using my old information, but did not get the opportunity to confirm the change.  Now I noth that my name is not on the member list, and the active subject I have been working on was moved from where it was and I could not add additional information to it.  How do I get vack to normal? 

Your email address was removed because...first of all, it's not important or necessary to the topic....secondly, it is an open invitation to spambots and we routinely remove email addresses posted by members...for the reasons stated.

Forum business is conducted within the forums...not by email, not by PM, not by telephone or any other private/semiprivate mechanism.  Posting an email address serves no purpose in the forums.

Louis

#15 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

I use this draw, CD-ROM space 3.5 SATA HDD Mobile Rack  i have 3 hdd's one for each of the os systems i run

with this setup no problems arise with boot loaders and all my data stored on a internal hdd that all systems use..

I have tried the dual partition s and dual boot and when one of the o.s.systems playsup .one loses the enjoyment pc's give

also i use Nortons Ghost  for all my system backup of os partitions..

Good system. I have had NO problem dual-booting XP/W7 and W7/W8.

Fair warning:
DO NOT create a clean Windows 8 boot disk with your NTFS data disk offline. ReFS in Win 8 will "correct" the NTFS file system when you reconnect the data disk. When you go back to W7 or XP, those OSs will invoke chkdsk in an attempt to fix the "corrupted" data disk. I did that once and ended up with 200,000+ errors before I gave up and reformatted/rebuilt the data disk. At that time I made a separate data disk for Win 8 only.

The fix for this fiasco is to set up a dual-boot system on the XP or W7 boot disk. Clear off the back half of the disk and install W8 on the unallocated space. If the W8 installer sees a valid, running, W7 or XP system installed, it doesn't set up ReFS and stays with the legacy NTFS file system. It's the only way I've found for W8 to play nice with prior OSs. I have not tried installing W8 with a separate NTFS data disk online to see what would happen. It might work, but I don't know for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users