Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Find Network Key on Cisco Linksys E4200 v2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raylreichert375

raylreichert375

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hello Experts,

How can I find the network key on a cisco Linksys router E4200 v2? On previous routers, I've typed the IP address http://192.168.11 into a browser, then logged into the Linksys page, and was able to go to security page and find the WEP number, but now, that IP takes me to the new Linksys smart Wi-Fi page, I log in, but on the Security or the wireless pages, there is no WEP information - in fact, I cant find it anywhere on the pages!

Most new devices simple pick up the ssid name of the router, and with the password, can access the router. I'm asking for this because one of my renters has an older windows computer (2007 running XP) - they can see the router, they try to log in, but their system is asking for the Network Key in addition to the password.

Any help greatly appreciated

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

It would be in the administrator interface, under Wireless properties.  BTW, there is a Security Bulletin that has been issued on the Linksys E series routers, that is pretty severe.  Make sure that UPnP id disabled, along with Remote access to the administrator interface.

Of course if you just went to linksys.com and put in the model, you can look at the pdf manual on your router, and it will have all the information you need.

The IP address though for the router, should be 192.168.33.1.  Why it is that who knows.  Most common start IP for routers is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254, or 192.168.0.1.  I have seen 192.168.100.1 also.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

First thing you should do it go to http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/E4200 click Downloads, pick you hardware version and click User Guide. You can save that if you'd like. I'd suggest it. For the Pin look on the bottom of the router, it should be listed there. Unless you changed it, then it's Wireless tab -> Wireless setup -> Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Should be listed on that page.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

WPS is now disabled out of the box, due to it has an exploit, that has not been fixed for over five years,same as UPnP,which has not had it security exploit fixed for around ten years now.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

well since a PIN is needed with WPS and the wireless authentication on the PC in question is asking for one, it seems it is not disable in this case. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Wonder why Greg62702 got banned, anyway if the key is already on a machine then use NirSoft WireLessKeyView (Or if you can login then view the source of the webpage, good for password recovery for emails to!!). But i doubt the OP will be back as they appear to be a one poster!

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Not sure why either. Maybe the OP figured it out either wya I wish they'd post and let us know =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users