Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my wireless adapter won't connect but my usb adapter can

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iamelmo1

iamelmo1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I've been using my USB adapter for quite awhile now and decided to go back to my laptop's wireless adapter and when i did it refuses to connect to my Internet.

I try diagnostics but it says there is no problems but it would keep verifying if the network diagnostics service is active. However it is functioning but still doesn't find a reason to why my internal adapter isn't connecting to the Internet.

Could it be that my laptop's network adapter is not functioning? 

Edited by iamelmo1, 15 February 2014 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Did you check your wireless settings to make sure the device is enabled?

Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings which is on the upper left side of the page.

What does it say for the laptop's built in wireless adapter?

To answer your question, yes it is possible that it's "broken" and will not work.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 February 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#3 iamelmo1

iamelmo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Did you check your wireless settings to make sure the device is enabled?

Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings which is on the upper left side of the page.

What does it say for the laptop's built in wireless adapter?

To answer your question, yes it is possible that it's "broken" and will not work.

It says it's not connected I would keep trying to connect but it won't connect at all, i tried updating and reinstalling but it just won't connect.

Edited by iamelmo1, 15 February 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

WHAT have updated and reinstalled?

#5 iamelmo1

iamelmo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

WHAT have updated and reinstalled?

The wireless driver wlan mini which updated to Broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter and even when i went back to wlan adapter mini it still didnt connect.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Are you sure that the internal WLAN unit is switched on ?  On older laptops there is often a physical switch somewhere on the casing, often on the front edge. On newer ones it is usually toggles on or off by a combination of the Fn key and one of the F1 - F12 keys. Which particular key varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it will have some symbol on it that looks vaguely like a wireless transmitter.

I agree with Queen-Evie, and speak from bitter personal experience, WLAN units inside laptops can fail !  Try setting up an ad-hoc network between two computers and the unit in one of them is transmitting, but not receiving, AND it is your first ever attempt at setting up a network !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

First make sure that it shows enabled in Network adapters. Second make sure that it has the drivers installed for your computer, from the manufacturer website, not from some third party site.  You would need to go into Device Manager to check.  Third, make sure that you are using the correct SSID & passphrase to connect to your wireless Access Point.  Fourth, make sure that you are using a short passphrase, not something really long or with special characters (ie 1a3d5c8d).  Also make sure that the SSID is not hidden on your access point, and that it is set for WPA(TKIP)/WPA2(AES).

You can try and uninstall the device and driver for it, and then reinstall the device, by using the drivers from the computer manufacturer website.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Chris, I am finding that right now, you can get them pretty cheap.  I am getting the Intel 7260 mini-card Dual-band Wireless-AC from CDW, for $28 apiece.  If the laptop wLAN interface is compatible with PCIe Mini-Cards, it is a easy fix, vs. using an external.  Then again with some units, you can get better reception with an external USB adapter with an external antenna, then you can with an internal.

I am picking up right now about five to ten A/P's, that are around 100' from where I am sitting, at any given time.  Depending on the weather and if the Sun is up in the sky.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

I totally forgot about the laptop having a way to enable or disable the wireless function, which Chris mentioned. That is something you need to check. If you are unsure HOW to do it on your laptop, please post the manufacturer/model number of the laptop and someone should be able to help you. Or you could go to the manufacturer website and look for the user manual for your model.

#10 AbsolutoCaos

AbsolutoCaos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi all,

maybe iamelmo1 wlan card does not support the security settings on the router. Try change the WPA2 to WPA, WPA2-tkip to WPA2-AES, or to WEP (BUT just for the test, cause WEP is not secure AT ALL) and change the channel your wifi is in. It may be on a very populated channel.

The suggesting about the fisical wifi on/off is valid but not on his case because he said on the 3rd post that he cannot connect, he does not state that it cannot see wifi networks, only that is keeps failing to connect.

You can also try to boot on live operating system like mini windows xp on the "hirens boot cd 15" or a linux live cd, written on a usb thumb drive, and see if it connects to the wifi.

Other than that, it may be your wifi card damaged. If its the case, try to get an exact make and model of your wifi card because most probably the bios on your laptop as "whitelist" for the devices it accepts and it wont boot with an "unauthorised" wifi card.

wishing the best of luck on your venture to find the culprit, iamelmo1.

And the best for the supporters on this amazing forum! Thanks

#11 iamelmo1

iamelmo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hi all,

maybe iamelmo1 wlan card does not support the security settings on the router. Try change the WPA2 to WPA, WPA2-tkip to WPA2-AES, or to WEP (BUT just for the test, cause WEP is not secure AT ALL) and change the channel your wifi is in. It may be on a very populated channel.

The suggesting about the fisical wifi on/off is valid but not on his case because he said on the 3rd post that he cannot connect, he does not state that it cannot see wifi networks, only that is keeps failing to connect.

You can also try to boot on live operating system like mini windows xp on the "hirens boot cd 15" or a linux live cd, written on a usb thumb drive, and see if it connects to the wifi.

Other than that, it may be your wifi card damaged. If its the case, try to get an exact make and model of your wifi card because most probably the bios on your laptop as "whitelist" for the devices it accepts and it wont boot with an "unauthorised" wifi card.

wishing the best of luck on your venture to find the culprit, iamelmo1.

And the best for the supporters on this amazing forum! Thanks

Thank you for your advice, now at this very moment i can no longer see networks i tried everything that everyone has listened but i'm unable to see networks i will order a new network card. Not only that when i'm unable to connect i can't troubleshoot the problem because the windows diagnostics can't find a problem. I have a usb network adapter and it works fine.

Edited by iamelmo1, 25 February 2014 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users