Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notebooks 56K modem not being found. Is there troubleshooting I can do?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have a Dell Lattitude D620 notebook (XP, I know, will be defunct soon). I use it's 56K dial-up modem to connect to the internet.

The other day I was on-line and the screen flashed some sort of blue screen error message (it filled the screen but was gone in under a second) then became disconnected. My attempts to

reconnect led me to discover the modem was not being recognized at all.

I have since downloaded and installed the modem drivers (from dell) but it seems as though the modem is still not being recognized.

I should also add that my sound also went out when the modem crashed. But, oddly, when I log into the computer using it's only other User name the sound was back and worked fine. The modem was

still not recognized though. Everything else on the computer seems to work as before. Just no modem or sound for User A and no modem for User B.

I'm really at a loss as far as troubleshooting this issue. Here are some of my questions...

1. Do modems go out like this? Could it be a bad RJ-11 port (the line might have been pulled at an angle sometime before it went out, not at the same time. Not enough to break the connection when it happened)

2. If I buy a USB 56K modem will it work even though I didn't repair the modem issue?

3. I've seen replacement D620 modems for under $5 on ebay. It looks like two screws hold them in. Are there other difficult connections to install these modems? I've had the computer open and poked

around before when I replaced it's screen, so I don't mind light tinkering.

I'm probably going to buy a refurb Win7 notebook in the next month or so but I'd like to have the XP working as a back-up. At this point I don't think it's worth buying Win7 to load on this

computer, It's just getting too old.

Thanks

ps Until I can get to a faster www connection I'm stuck researching using my desktop with dial-up, which is incredibly slow. Too slow to look on youtube for some DIY about the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users