Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Scan Results=these files cannot be scanned...how to proceed? windows xpSP3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mermaidvoice

mermaidvoice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

As suggested in the "slow computer" instruction on the forum I am attempting to clean up my computer with my antivirus scan....I am not sure how to proceed after performing a quick scan the results are a page of files in a sort of chart format listing various file paths in my C:\Documents and Settings\user\   folders that are followed in another column with the words "Error: Archive is Password Protected"  ..... above this window it reads:  "some files could not be scanned", and "Warning", then beneath that it says:  Select the required action for each reply and click "Apply"   

Beneath the window chart in small print it says:  "Note:  The automatic fix tries to repair the file first. If repair is not possible it proceeds to move the file to the Chest.  If that fails as well the file is deleted."   Of course I can find no word "Apply" and am not sure what the result would be if I did find it!  I have Windows XP SP3 and am not sure what to do at this point. Delete all of these files? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it seems something is wrong with the computer since my last problem with Uninstalling Adobe Reader.  I have to click on click points numerous times (usually 3) to get a response from the computer and many ads are not downloading at all (not that I want to look at the ads!)  I was actually reinstalling Adobe Flash Player since it had suddenly become inoperational (I was intending to reinstall it....but thought I should do the antivirus scan first and then try reinstalling Adobe Flash Player.....Adobe Reader I can live without; need the Flash Player to run).  

My plan was to go step by step through the process listed in the Forum prior to posting but am not sure what to do with these scan results.

Thank you in advance.   

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2014 - 03:12 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mermaidvoice

mermaidvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ok no need to reply to the Avast! query I found the information after some searching and realized these files may not be corrupt....just password corrected!

Still cannot get my Adobe Flash Reader to work....it was working fine last week and suddenly stopped.....I will post this in a new topic for the benefit of all if I cannot find results in search.

Thank you anyway!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

For others reading this topic and more info for you.

"Object is locked skipped", "Error Opening - (File locked)", "Not tested", "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access as a protective measure. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.Note: It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to have problems with or be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users