Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login/Logoff Issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

First, let me start by saying that I know, I know - customizing Windows should be done at the user's risk.

That said, I recently purchased a Windows 7 custom theme pack from Virtual Customs - a very reputable and trusted source. Everything that the author promised was delivered, and I could not be any happier with the new look and feel of my OS. There are two issues, though, that I would like to fix. I can't seem to find an answer at the Virtual Customs web site for these.

The first issue is when powering the computer up, the very first thing that the logon screen does is give me the message, "Username or password is incorrect." While it's just a minor annoyance - all I have to do is hit the Escape key to bring the proper login screen up - I would like to fix this.

The second issue gives me much more cause for concern. When trying to reboot or shutdown the computer, it "hangs" with the message, "Logging off." It never powers down, which forces me to use either the Reset button, or the Power button on my computer. There doesn't seem to be any problem when I use the Reset button - it just restarts the computer, and I receive no message about an improper Windows shutdown. However, when I'm forced to use the Power button to shut down completely, on the next boot I get the standard message that the previous Windows session did not close properly, and asking me what mode I would like to boot with. Selecting "Start Windows Normally" does not seem to effect anything, but this issue still concerns me.

Any ideas on how to correct these issues would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edit to Add: I've solved the hanging issue when the computer is shutting down by going to selective startup. Did a clean boot first, then set it for normal boot with only those applications I want to run on startup. I'm still not sure who the culprit was, but it seems fine now. Still trying to figure out the login screen issue.

Edit to Add: And, one final update to this issue. I've solved the logon problem following these instructions:

Press WinKey+R, type control userpasswords2 in the box, and click OK . Put a check mark in the Users must enter a user name and password box and click OK.

I have no idea how that got changed, and since I didn't change it, it never occurred to me to check it.

So, all is good in my world again! :D

Edited by MelissaPleases, 15 February 2014 - 04:32 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users