Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 penguin88

penguin88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

My computer is operating very slowly and I believe it is related to the number of programs that are running at Startup. When I troubleshoot this the question is "Which programs do you want to prevent from running at Startup?" and then lists everything that current run at Startup. My problem is I am a 'Technopeasant' and have no clue what the following programs are and whether or not I should prevent them from running for fear of screwing things up. Here is the list of programs and if anyone can advise on which ones I should be preventing from running, I would be extremely grateful.....!

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver

IDT PC Audio

Java ™ Platform SE 6 U14

Ns Wrt Mon Application

Ixdomon.exe

Ixdoamon

Intel® Common User Interface

HP Quick Play

MUI StartMenu Application

Norton Online Backup

HP Wireless Assistanct

Pure Networks Platform

Network Magic

Fax Solutions Software

Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager

RIMBB Launch Agent

hpwuSchd Application

CaddieSync Express

McAfee Security Scanner

Thanks in advance.....................!

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

First off, you do not need the McAfee Security Scanner.  Second, I would get rid of the RIMBB Launch agent, if you do not have a Blackberry.  NS WRT Mon is for Cannon All-in-Ones.  Caddiesync Express is for Sky Golf.  Ixdomon.exe & Ixdomon you definitely do not need.  MUI StartMenu Application is for Cyberlink, which is for DVD playback.  Norton Online Backup is a notorious resource hog, so get rid of that like yesterday.  Network Magic you do not need.  It is garbage.  This is basically what it does "Network Magic Pro helps avoid the need for expensive technical support and consultancy by providing do-it-yourself tools to help you set up, manage and secure your network. Cisco Network Magic helps you connect devices, share Internet connections, printers and files."  Pure Networks Platform is another Cisco product.  It comes bundled with various routers.  Fax Solutions you can also get rid of, if you do not do any kind of faxing with your computer, or from your printer.  I am guessing that it came bundled with your Canon printer, or may have been what we call a "Drive By install" somehow.

My guess with the Cisco stuff, you loaded a CD that came with your router, thinking that you need to install the software, in order to use the router, which you really do not need to do.  Connecting to a router is just plug it in, log into the administrator interface in your favorite browser and make changes.

No need for Minitoolbox, since you gave what is exactly what was needed for telling us what you are thinking is slowing your system down.  For purging any registry entries, you can try Minitoolbox and use it to clean up any strays, after doing an unistall of the programs I highlighted above.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Also, your Java is out of date and that makes your system vulnerable.  The version on your system should be uninstalled.  If you don't use Java (it's used by certain online applications) the recommendation here is to leave it off your system altogether as it is an ongoing security risk.  If you do use Java, use the latest one and keep it up to date.

I agree on comments above re. Network Magic and the other Cisco stuff.  In its limited unpaid form (disc bundled with Cisco Linksys routers), it does very little other than add bloat to your system.  You don't need it to either connect to or configure your router.

The Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager startup item is a process that automatically updates Acrobat etc. as necessary.  It's important to keep this software up to date, as security problems are regularly found with it. Personally I have started using Secunia PSI which does the job of keeping a large number of programs up to date, and have disabled most programs own automatic updaters (like the Acrobat Manager start up item).

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users