Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can RAM be changed for older RAM when PC is being repaired?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BIG222DADDY

BIG222DADDY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

I downloaded a Software package which had Malware. I was unable to remove all of it and was unable to reinstall Windows XP Home.

I took the machine to a Computer Expert who works in a business that repairs & sells Computers. I trust him and he is very good with computers.

Trusting someone to fix your computer is very similar to having someone work on your Car. He was away,not likely to be around for over a week,and as I needed to have the PC for a number of ongoing issues I decided to leave it with one of his colleagues who reinstalled XP home.

The system is not functioning well,in fact its functioning badly, and I am not sure what is wrong but I am trying to sort through a number of possible options. This is my first option but there is another which I will get to if anyone can help me with this one.

The system was purchased, a ready assembled system, in 2010 and my old hard drive(From my old PC) was fitted into it as the backup drive.The system has worked like a 'dream racing car' and has the following key elements:

Intel Pentium E5300 processor,ASROCK Intel Motherboard,2Gb DDR2 Ram of memory. The PC case(Tower) has 2 bar-codes. The first is a combination of letters & numbers in a 5-4-5-5-5 sequence. The second has 14 Numbers in a 5-3-3-3 sequence. There are 2 other non bar-coded registrations. The first is 8 letters and numbers in a 3-5 sequence. The second is 9 letters & numbers in a 3-6 sequence.

Q1) Is it possible the Ram could have been switched for older Ram?

Q2) Can the RAM to be linked to any of the bar-codes?

Q3) Is there a way of dating Ram?

I have the purchase documentation and have absolute confidence in the man who sold it to me and who normally repairs it. But I need to be on solid ground when I go back to complain about the machines performance.

Can anyone advise me on this particular aspect of my suspicions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

1) Possible? Yes.  Likely?  Probably not.  All DDR2 is "old" now and very few/no current motherboards use it.  The "reward" for thieving higher spec DDR2 and replacing it with cheaper stuff is not going to be worth many peoples time, let alone compensate for the risks of being found out.

2) Don't know.  If the bar codes are on the tower itself, you say, they may mean something to whoever built the system, or they may not.  It could simply be a barcode put on by the manufacturer of the case itself.  Whether the system builder would have sufficient records to link a specific system to a specific RAM module is uncertain.  You'd have to ask them.  I suspect they would probably be able to tell you what spec and manufacturer of RAM was used, if not specific serial numbers.

3) Maybe.  It's possible (but not certain) that information is embedded in the memory modules SPD chip.  Download and run CPU-Z (choose the 32 or 64 bit version as appropriate, it doesn't need to be installed) which will allow you to read what's on the SPD.

KujEc3x.png

This screenshot is taken from my current PC which uses Kingston memory with a manufacturing date of Week 44, 2011.  I suspect this is correct as I bought the RAM in early 2012.

Failing that, there may be a sticker on the side of the RAM modules themselves which includes a manufacturing date.  You would have to remove them to have a look.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Please explain what kind of performance issues you are experiencing.

What is the make and model of this computer?

As jonuk76 has suggested, you could download CPU-Z and click on the STP tap to see exactly what you have install in the way of RAM.  Please do so and in include this information for each slot occupied in you next post.

If you feel so inclined, you can make screen shots of the STP image and post those here.  Instructions for doing this are below.

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users