Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 does not recognize DVD-RW drive, but BIOS does

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vorsybl

vorsybl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

I desperately need to reinstall my operating system so I can reformat and erase everything on my drive. THe last time I did so was 2.5 years ago and my computer is probably infected with all kinds of garbage so I"ve backed up my stuff and am ready to reinstall, but the drive isn't detected in my computer.

I'm running :

RAM: 4 gig

HD: 1 tb

processor: i7 2600k 

When the intel menu comes up within the first few seconds of booting, it gives the option of going to bios or boot menu. For the drive to appear in boot menu, I have to open the drive and keep it open during those few seconds. It is only during these few secondst hat the light flashes and I can open and close, but right now for example, I can't open and close and there is no light because im in windows. In BIOS it also detects the drive

THe only thing I know about the drive is that it says "lightscribe" on the front, and I ordered the parts separately from a vendor so its not a "gateway" or "dell" etc please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

How are you trying to reinstall your OS?

--- Is it a bootable ISO file?

On the parts you ordered separately

--- It sounds like you ordered more than 1 part

--- But for the time being, is one of the parts the DVD-RW drive you mention?

--- Has that drive working before?

#3 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

As I mentioned in the OP, yes, the drive has worked before. The drive is recognized in BIOS and boot menu, but once windows starts to load I can't open the drive anymore and it is not detected. Please help me

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Try running the Microsoft fixit. Use Resolution 2  This may not work as you are having problems even opening the drive while in windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

This is almost always an upper lower filter problem, here are the instructions to delete the filters BE CAREFUL and follow precisely.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

After you delete the upper and lower filters simply restart your computer and the drive should re-appear.

Edited by zingo156, 17 February 2014 - 08:44 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I just noticed that you were trying to format and reinstall. Are you using a bootable windows 7 disc? Usually to re-install an operating system you would need either the restore discs that came with the system or a genuine windows bootable disc, sometimes there are factory restore partitions with branded computers.

To boot from the disc you need to select dvd drive from the bios boot menu or change the settings in bios to make the dvd drive the first boot device. Then if booting from a windows disc you will need to hit enter when it prompts you to do so or it will continue to boot from the hard drive (after selecting the dvd drive for boot, I usually just tap enter for while). This will then take you to the windows disc options where you can reinstall, I usually delete the old partitions and make new ones, (if you do not have a factory restore partition).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the response zingo. How am i supposed to find the right subkey for the drive?

yeah so there is no upper or lower filter thing showing up on the right this sucks 

Edited by vorsybl, 20 February 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

I click on the top key and then use my arrow keys to go down one at a time, in the right panel you will be looking for dvd drive or cd drive. Example is in the picture.Attached File  dvd drive.jpg   43.84KB   1 downloads

Then delete both the upper and lower filters.

The picture is small, you can click on it to make it bigger.

Edited by zingo156, 20 February 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#9 vorsybl

vorsybl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

ill try this when i get home, but im pretty sure they didn't show up in the list. here is a detailed explanation of what is happening, i spent 40 minutes on it yesterday.

Drives light only flashes for 3-5 seconds right when powering computer and given the goto bios or boot menu keyboard options. during this time im able to open and close drive.

if i leave the drive open and goto either the boot or bios menu, it is detected and te drive shows up in both places.

when windows loads, the drive closes and dies, and is not recognized by windows or the computer.

i tried moving the sata cable to another port, i tried reversing the cable, nothing worked. could it be the sata cable that is faulty?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Worth a look, https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 .

Louis

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

If the drive at any point disappears from the bios you have a problem with the drive itself or the slot / main board that it connects to.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

If I’m covering ground on items that’s already been covered, please excuse me as I might have missed something but here are some of my thoughts at this point in time

One thing to consider is to set up your BIOS to do a slow boot

--- You might see some comments during a slow boot that just fly by during a fast boot

When I asked whether or not that drive has worked before, I should have asked in a better way

--- Is this something sudden where nothing like this has happened before?

--- Does it happen only on the Windows 7 Install CD/DVD disc you are using?

------ Is this the same Windows 7 Install CD/DVD disc you used 2.5 years ago?

------ Maybe there is an issue with the disc itself

--- Have you tried another CD/DVD disc and still have the same problem?

Does your CD/DVD in Device Manger have yellow or red exclamations?

--- We need the error code in Device Manager the correct class Guid for your CD/DVD device

--- It appears that the error code should be Code 39; please verify

------ Have you tried to update the driver?

--- If you have already done this part, that’s fine; but we need to know that

--- That should help us help you on how to find the right subkey for the drive if it makes sense to pursue it

You mention that the computer is probably infected and full of garbage

--- Have run your security programs to clean up your computer?

--- I can’t say whether or not your issues can be the result of infections or garbage, but I can’t leave anything to out of the question at this point

--- If others believe I might be barking up the wrong tree that’s ok, but to me the only stupid question is the one that isn’t asked and we don’t know other issues you are up against with the condition your computer is in and I can tell by other responses we want to be as helpful as possible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users