Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK I need so advice for upgrading

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gamer089

Gamer089

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

OK so I have a Gateway 700GR (yes I know it is old) and I was thinking of upgrading it

Specs
Intel premium 4 3.4 GHz
1.0 GB ddr sd ram
ATI Radeon X300
Windows 7 (yes it was possible)

I was thinking of what should I upgrade first for my computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

my xp platform similar to yours was upgraded multiple times (power supply, ram. gfx card etc.) until it came time to upgrade the cpu, which my motherboard can't do, so now i am stuck with a p4 cpu even though i wanted a core2duo upgrade, but ultimately, the pentium 4 is such an old cpu, that it will hold back progress no matter how many other things you upgrade..  your motherboard may or may not  take a cpu upgrade, we would need to see a speccy report. on your machine to get the full understanding. it is real easy to desire small  $30-40 upgrades instead of getting a new $350-$450 machine. but those little expenditures add up  time after time. so most veteran users will advise to get a new machine and hang onto your old hard drive to use in  the new machine as a secondary drive.   so i  bought a newer machine myself and keep the old one for common uses while the newer one is for demanding applications. on the bright side, my old upgraded xp  machine has recovery functionality if it ever gets infected or anything. i just recovered it last summer when my xp service pack upgrade hosed up.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mU1B58EBFAhoKqNIKZ4KEcs

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

ok, that motherboard won't upgrade further than a pentium 4 h/t or celeron d.  much like mine.  you can get  1gb pc 3200ram sticks for about $7 a piece and a 500 watt power supply for about $40 and a radeon hd 6670 video card for about $80 . i think the 6670 is about as high as you can get before the p4 starts choking the pipe (bottlenecking). the p4 is holding you back much like mine. also, your maxtor hard drive is indicating a s.m.a.r.t. warning. if that is your boot drive it is advisable to engage countermeasures.

I can definitely understand that you want to hang onto the PC, our particular series was pretty expensive back in their day/

it is kind of weird, our motherboards are socket 775 which is one of the most upgradeable in existence, but our particular mobos are very limited. then the issue comes up that the OEM OS issued to the PC is motherboard entwined. change out the mobo, then the original OS isn't valid as read from the boot drive. but that is another topic.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20775%20%28LGA775%29.html

Edited by synergy513, 15 February 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hmmm, the motherboard has SATA ports, maybe a noticeable upgrade would be a SSD which the CPU would be bottlenecking it but still would be a solid speed boost. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

OK so I will try to get the ATI HD graphics card because it looks like a good graphics card

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

oh yes, the 6670 is one of those cards that is so sweet on so many levels.  I like the ASUS OEM version of that card myself. it uses low power, it is capable of crossfiring well with the amd apu series (a6, a8 etc.) and some models still have the vga connector. it  has the gddr5, 480 stream processors, and so on.. the prices for it should be dropping since the new generation of it (r7-250) has been in the market for a while

for a few dollars more you can get something really nice like the relatively future-proof hd7770. but then the p4 wouldn't pipe data into it efficiently.  :workout:

Yes, the solid state drives are a welcome addition anytime. considering that your 200gb maxtor is indicating problems and if that is your boot drive it may render the machine into brick status if it goes out.. with a ssd, you can clone that failing hdd with its OS over to it easily, i think.  the smaller capacity ssd (80-120gb) are within budget range for most users. intel and samsung  are the reputable ssd OEMs.

i think you can get the seagate seatools app from their site to analyze your hard drive with to get a better indication of its status.

Edited by synergy513, 16 February 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#8 Gamer089

Gamer089
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

I already knew the problem of it because of the red wire I think it bended it so that is why I get bsod or maybe because the odd thing about it is when I switch my power options I don't get them anymore

Edited by Gamer089, 16 February 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

those hdd sata cables are really cheap. one cable has to route out of the mobo SATA socket, and the other is merely a power cable which can be found out of the power supply or can be adapted off a molex.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Well...before I spent any money on said system...I'd first ask myself..."Just what is the purpose of my efforts?"

The phrase "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind when someone talks of "upgrading" a system that dates to a different computer era. 

I suggest that you either keep the system as is if it functions without problem...or think of getting a newer/faster/better system that supersedes the P4 era.  If this system isn't adequate for what you do...why is it not adequate?

No "upgrades" can bring a P4 system into the world that multicore CPUs/systems now occupy, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users