Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-Obvious/Advanced Ways of Making Your Internet Faster?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rythix

Rythix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

So my internet is slow as hell. People keep telling me the most obvious things (at least for me) to do, like:

- "Unplug your router and plug it back again after 'insert a certain amount of seconds here'."
- "Reset your router's settings"
- "Turn off WMM in QoS"
- "Disable your connectivity and enable it again."
- "Use the troubleshoot tool in your computer."
- "Scan for malware and remove them"
- "Get your router beside your computer."
- "Remove things that are covering your router, if any."
- "Close down programs (such as uTorrent) that takes up lots of your bandwidth"
- "Get a different plan from your ISP, or change ISPs."
- "Plug a wire from your router to your computer."
- "See if someone outside your house is using the internet."
- "Buy a router from Amazon or something."
- "Type this in cmd - 'insert command here'."
- "Do a speed test." (which doesn't even do anything)

But what I want are different answers that are non-obvious.
Are there other options I could do to make my internet faster?

I'm in a wireless, by the way.

If so, please do tell me here. Thanks!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 February 2014 - 03:54 PM.
language edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

You might want to provide more details about your Internet connection/setup and your computer.

DSL or cable or fiber or something else? You mentioned you are using wireless…I am assuming you mean WiFi as opposed to wireless broadband from a cell phone company. If so, what is your router model and what is your WiFi adapter on your computer (in essence, the question is are you using at least 802.11n for WiFi or something older like 802.11g or even 802.11b)? Also, how close to your router are you? Any large amounts of masonry, metal (i.e. plumbing pipes, etc), large appliances (i.e. fridges or microwaves), or wireless house phones between you and the router?

Tech specs of your computer can matter as well. For example, if the issue is that webpages load slowly and you are using an older computer (i.e. say PIV running Windows XP with like 1 or 2 GB of RAM), then it may be the processor struggling to load pages quickly (modern webpages tend to be somewhat processor intensive as they tend to have lots of javascript and other scripting languages that need to be "processed").

What level of Internet connection are you paying for (i.e. are you paying for 2 Mbps or 30 Mbps)? And what "speeds" do you get when you test your "speed" with something like SpeedTest.net?

More information might help give some specific recommendations. Without it, you likely are going to just get generic suggestions, many of which might be obvious to you. You should also be prepared for the possibility that there are NO "different answers"…those common, "obvious" answers are common for a reason.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Also, what is slow as hell? a little context helps. Have you seen any difference in speed if you plug into the router?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 15 February 2014 - 01:58 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'm surprised that make sure your drivers are up to date didn't make the list... :(

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

The only way to make your internet speeds faster, is to have a fast enough CPU, a good quality Wireless adapter running at least 300mbps, a router or Access Point that is also capable of 300mbps or faster, using 1000mbps connection to the router or a switch connected to the router.  Then add to that a router with a Wan to Lan speed of no less then 150mbps or faster.  The last but not least, having decent speeds from your ISP.

If your speeds are slow, or have high ping times, due to say you are using Satellite, WiMax or a WISP (Wireless ISP), old school DSL, you will never achieve good quality speeds or connections.

I am using a Motorola/Arris SB6141 Cable modem, my router is a TP-Link TL-R600VPN, my access point is a Engenius ECB350, my adapter in my Toshiba Satellite C850d-st3nx1 laptop, is the Intel 7260 Dual band Wirelss-AC with Bluetooth capabilities (Bluetooth not used with my laptop, but wanted the Wireless-AC capabilities).

When I run my speedtests at speedtest.comcast.net, I get on average 57mbps down/12mbps up, ping between 17-20 all the time, every day, no matter what the hour is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users