Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking 2 Computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

i have 2 older win 98se computers-one has a cable connection online to provider---i really dont wish to purchase a needed card to get the other online---can i network the 2 computers together so i can share files and virus updates and ad-aware updates to both ? or do i have to buy another card either wireless or wired to my router? one is with a hard wired cable hook up ...the other is just sitting there not being used ...what's my options ....anyone to tackle this and help me out ...thanks for the help here you guys rock....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Fer crineoutloud, a network card only costs less than $15. Whether it was online or not, it's still the best way to hook the two of them together.

#3 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

OK

This is a very interesting problem you are trying to achieve, for one, I do not know of any method 2 computers can communicate with each other without some form of network device such ast a Network Card, Wireless card, Bluetooth or whatever. Maybe you are a wicked scientist like Doc from Back To The Future and can develop some Quantium Network Technology that gets around this problem of not requiring extra Network devices to get one computer to communicate with that other.

Short of that .... You will need to have 2 Network cards for both machines and a Cross Over Cable to connect both machines up together. After installing TCP/IP protocols and some details and drivers you will now have both computers networked and ready to go. If you are going to do this setup you will need to have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) for your machine connected to the ISP you dial up on. The other will see this machine as a Server and then the second computer will be a client.

Better option would be say if you have a broadband connection is to make this device a 4Port Modem so you can connect both machines with 2 Straight Through network cables into the device, with of course 2 Network cards in both machines to connect these 2 Straight Through cables into.

Good Luck with your Mission on trying to network 2 computers together without any Network Cables or Network cards, if you figure out a way, let me know ... :thumbsup:

DR

Edited by DarkRaika, 26 May 2006 - 08:00 AM.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

There are solutions other than an ethernet card, but to purchase the equipment needed you would spend more than the cost of a NIC. Whatever you do stay away from USB. It is a pain with XP and a nightmare with 95\98\ME. IMHO

http://justdeals.stores.yahoo.net/dfe530tx.html
http://justdeals.stores.yahoo.net/ma311ge.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

i dont about that acklan i have my main computer hardwired and two computers on wireless ethernet adaptors ,i have had them like thatfor a couple of years with xp and i havent had any problems .

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

I know. Users connect USB all the time and never have problems, but when it goes wrong it never seems to be a simple fix. Also you cannot use "Safe Mode with Network Support" with a USB NIC. As a matter of fact I have two USB wired NICs I use when a dialup computer shows up at my house. Connect them to my cable modem (router) when doing software upgrades.
I guess I need to quit whining and get over my dislike of USB.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users