Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Page cannot be displayed' on all browsers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fullbugged

fullbugged

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hi!

Have a Windows desktop XP SP2 that until today had no problems connecting to the net, now no matter what browser I use I get the dreaded 'page cannot be displayed' messsage.

What makes this weird is I also have another desktop XP plugged into my Bell Canada modem and its connecting just fine, so that tells me its not the modem, plus the problem computer also says in the taskbar that the internet is connected.

So I call Bell Canada and spend an hour talking to a tech, and after him trying some things he says it must be my computer, although I could swear I had this issue in the past and they fixed it.

So any suggestions? I have had computers die, and modem issues a few times before, but never where a tech says it must be a computer problem, when EVERYTHING else on the computer is working just fine. What kind of problem would keep any web pages from displaying? 

ANY help with this would be great, my wife is going up the wall not being able to use her computer, which will drive me to the breaking point as well...(lol)

So far I have tried every step found here- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

Also when I go to update any program, like Malawarebytes, nothing will update! And I am SURE that I am connected to the net, can anyone help me?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Helllo :).

What makes this weird is I also have another desktop XP plugged into my Bell Canada modem and its connecting just fine, so that tells me its not the modem, plus the problem computer also says in the taskbar that the internet is connected.

That corresponds with the assertion that it must be a system problem.

Try uninstalling the network drivers...then reinstalling same, the ones installed in your system could be damaged.

And...verify that the other system actually connects to varying websites, rather than just using webpages already cached.  I recently had an issue where on multiple systems one appeared to be connecting while another was getting error messages...upon further checking, neither was actually connecting and the issue was one with the network signal from my ISP (checked the modem light which indicated that the signal was amber/not working for the link/connection (althoughworking for all else).

If you cannot connect successfully...I would expect to be unable to update via the Internet.

Louis

#3 fullbugged

fullbugged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I can verify that the system I am typing this with is working just great, so thats not an issue.

I have a backup of all the drivers, would the network drivers be say 'Inter ® Pro / 1000 MT Network connection' ? If not how would I know what my network drivers are?

Thank you for the help by the way....

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2014 - 10:34 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 fullbugged

fullbugged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

Or would my network driver be something like Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport  ?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

System manufacturer and model?  If self-built, motherboard manufacturer and model?

Drivers are found in Device Manager.

To uninstall, go Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Network Adapter (if you connect using ethernet) or WLAN (if you connect wirelessly).

Double-click to see detail...then double-click the detailed item displayed.

Click Driver tab...push  Uinstall button.

To install drivers, simply go to system manufacturer's site...or motherboard manufacturer's site (if self-built system)...download the appropriate connection drivers for your system or motherboard.  Do this before uninstalling old drivers.

To install new drivers, normally all you have to do is double-click the downloaded file.

Louis

#6 fullbugged

fullbugged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

System manufacturer and model?  If self-built, motherboard manufacturer and model?

I got fed up with 2 days of fighting with the thing, so I just reformatted the whole  computer, and now everything works fine, thank you for all your help.... :thumbup2: 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users