Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Weird Freezes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azra31

azra31

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Hi all, I haven't used this site in a while and I forgot my old username, so I now have this one! On to the problem though...

I am not computer illiterate, I know how to fix a computer and I do so quite frequently (especially virus removal, which I excel at). The problem is that my computer will completely freeze for about 5 seconds every 20-30 seconds for no apparant reasons, even when doing nothing (all programs closed sitting on desktop with nothing running). Now the problem doesn't crop up right away when I start my computer, from what I've noticed it USUALLY starts when I am using firefox, and will not stop even if I close firefox (also check to make sure in processes that it and it's plugins have stopped). It is fixed if i restart my computer, at which point it will work for a while (even when runnign firefox) but will all of a sudden start the freezing after hours of being fine (once again starting it's vicous freeze cycles). I've run virus scans, malware, CCleaner, checked resource monitor while it's freezing, checked for spikes in processes when it triggers, and much more to no avail. Now if I was to take a wild guess I would have to say it was one of the plugins in firefox, but it is weird that it would continue after it's ended (or that it would do it after working for many hours already). Now I just recently noticed that when the cycles start, If i start doing new things like opening new tabs on firefox, rapidly moving the mouse, starting new programs or anything, it speeds up the cycles (to as fast as 5 seconds), but then returns to the 30 seconds when sat idle (even with the said new programs/tabs opened). I've checked for updates to drivers in driver management, done all the required windows updates, and more, but the problem is still persistent but keep in mind that like I said, It will go away if I restart my computer, but return many hours later. I'm kind of stuck, hoping you guys can help me figure out something else as even while I write this it is going on. Thanks.

Since it is going on while I am here, I'll attach a few of the most necessary specs.

Now I forgot to mention that when these freezes happen, the CPU spikes to 100% the entire time, but there is nothing taking up the processing as far as I can tell.

System Specs

Task Manager Performance Monitor Readings...

Physical Memory (MB)

Total - 8183

Cached - 4688

Available - 5398

Free - 729

Kernel Memory (MB)

Paged - 466

Nonpaged - 88

System

Handles - ~23000

Threads - ~890

Processes - 65

Up Time - 2:07:12:51

Commit (GB) - 3/15

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

Have you tried a different browser?

#3 azra31

azra31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

No, like I said it is a problem that persists even without the broser (or plugins) running. It still is very rare and very hard to detect the reason for, any ideas?

#4 azra31

azra31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

My thoughts were that it had to do something with memory, although in that regard I can neither confirm nor deny. Thoughts?

this

Physical Memory (MB)

Total - 8183

Cached - 4688

Available - 5398

Free - 729

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Have you tried running a clean boot and seeing if it persists?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 azra31

azra31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

I would try that, however the problem isn't immediatly relevant, sometimes it doesn't do it for a week, sometimes it does it after a day, and simply running it in clean boot isn't plausible...

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Those are the worst to diagnose, since they don't trigger reliably and don't allow you to see what causes them via trial and error.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users