Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomjelen900

tomjelen900

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

I want to change the numbering on a horizontal axis in a line graph. I want the axis to be numbered from 1945 to 2015. Currently it is numbered 1 to 63. Yes I know the numbers don't make sense, but I need some room on both ends of the graph to show that the data doesn't go farther than the line does. In short, I want to number the axis in years, not how many data points there are. Also, I am not good at using excel, so don't give me a link to some other website, it won't help me, give me step by step instructions please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 n2coffee

n2coffee

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

The easiest way to solve your problem is to up load a copy of the workbook and let me see the data and the chart you made it and I can edit for you...

I will be happy to tell you what I did and how you can do it the next time you need to present data in a specific way...

LC

#3 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

One more thing to add is that I use MS Office 2007, not sure which version you have.  I also agree with n2coffee. It would be faster and easier for me to edit the data to make sure it is exactly how you want it to look, and then write down and send to you the steps. Many times when people ask me for specific help with things like this at work, it might not be a simple click, I have them send me the file so I make sure I get it right and show them, and then send it back. Sometimes there is more than one solution...Excel is a very sophisticated program and one solution may be obtained by different methods depending on how people like to work within the program. 

A tip for when you are not under a time crunch--the very best way to learn is to play around with charts and data, changing things and creating new charts. Also under the Layout Tab > Primary Horizontal Axis > More Primary Axis Options, there are many different things to adjust depending on what you need to display.  

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I think what you need to do is set up another column of data next to you original data with the corresponding years in it. Then create a scatter chart.

Then right-click on the chart axis and select "Format Axis...". There you can specify the range required.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tomjelen900

tomjelen900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

The response above worked kind of and I know have a proper graph. After I made the scatter plot, I just changed it to a line graph.

#6 n2coffee

n2coffee

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

Awesome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users