Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugged in my external hard drive and computer crashed.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

Plugged in my external hard drive for the first time and computer crashed. The plug is a USB 2.0, while the hole is USB 3.0.  The external hard drive is a western digital caviar blue 500GB encased in a Rosewill external case, which I had sitting at a corner for several years. The Rosewill external case does not have a ground plug for its power cord. It just shut down automatically. I thought I saw a spark.

My motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z87

PSU: XFX 650W

The computer is fine, I am using it right now. But I am wondering if anyone out there might know what is possibly happening so I can take the necessary precautions next time and hopefully solve the problem

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 15 February 2014 - 01:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

Update:

I plugged in my printer as well, and my computer crashed. I recently built a new computer with these specs:

1. 3 HDD
2. 1 SSD
3. 1 XFX Radeon HD 5870 GPU
4. Intel 3.40 GHz i7 cpu.
5. 16GB Ram by corsair.

My PSU specs:

ac input: 100-240VAC, 10A, 50/60Hz

dc output |+3.3v..|. +5v..|. +12v.|. -12v....|+5VSB..|
................|..24A...|.30A...|...52A..|...0.8A...|..3A......|
................|....170W........|..624W.|...9.6W..|...15W.|
................|.......................650W..............................|

I have no idea what they mean. Hopefully someone knows what is going on with my computer.

Again, I am plugging USB 2.0, external HD case and now my printer, into a USB 3.0 slot and my computer crashes.

I took the HDD out of the external case and plugged it directly into the computer with SATA cord and it works. The problem with plugging USB is still there.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hello,

What is the OS? When the computer crashes, does it go to a blue screen and if it does, what error does it show?

Are there any errors shown in Event Viewer under System?

On the Gigabyte website did you download the latest USB 3.0 driver. For Windows 8 it shows 3 hot fixes for USB 3.0 compatibility.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4802#dl

#4 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hello,

What is the OS? When the computer crashes, does it go to a blue screen and if it does, what error does it show?

Are there any errors shown in Event Viewer under System?

On the Gigabyte website did you download the latest USB 3.0 driver. For Windows 8 it shows 3 hot fixes for USB 3.0 compatibility.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4802#dl

There are no errors. I am using windows 7 64bit.

A flash drive 16GB USB 2.0 works on the USB 3.0 ports. Things that require a power plug will crash my PC if I plug their USB into the USB ports.

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 17 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

When you attached the powered USB devices was it to the front ports or did you also try the back ports.

#6 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

When you attached the powered USB devices was it to the front ports or did you also try the back ports.

The front ports work. It is the one in the back that crashes my computer.

Also important is that after my computer crashed and when I unplug my printer's USB 2.0 from the back of my computer, there was some electric run off that shocked my hand continuously from the printer's USB 2.0. It was an extremely minor shock that stung my hand, but it lasted longer than say after running on a carpet and touching a metallic door knob.

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 17 February 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

So the PSU does not have a ground plug? I have never seen one of those. I am not much of a hardware guru but I would say you have a ground problem. Maybe disassembling everything making sure there are no screws or bare wires causing a short. Also make sure you are using no insulators under any of the stand-off screws. If that does not solve the problem, I would RMA the motherboard if possible. Hopefully somebody on the forum can give some further advice on this.

Edit: I would start a new thread in the System Building Forum and reference this thread. They may be able to help you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#8 DyslexicChciken

DyslexicChciken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

So the PSU does not have a ground plug? I have never seen one of those. I am not much of a hardware guru but I would say you have a ground problem. Maybe disassembling everything making sure there are no screws or bare wires causing a short. Also make sure you are using no insulators under any of the stand-off screws. If that does not solve the problem, I would RMA the motherboard if possible. Hopefully somebody on the forum can give some further advice on this.

Edit: I would start a new thread in the System Building Forum and reference this thread. They may be able to help you.

The PSU does have a ground plug. I just realized that the outlet is damaged. The casing for the outlet is lose, so when I have time, I will plug the PSU somewhere else and see if the computer still shuts down. I didn't notice this at first because the power outlet is behind my desk.

Edited by DyslexicChciken, 18 February 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

i found the drivers that come with some of the Gigabyte motherboards for USB3 are really ordinary and i choose not to use them because it BSOD my machine. See if it crashes with a USB2 port.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 18 February 2014 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users