Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes with moire pattern

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NikosGT

NikosGT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with my computer for over a month and figured it might be time to ask for help as I've been unable to solve it myself. 

I have a Asus N81VG laptop that I bought in 2009 and recently it has been freezing with no other way to recover other than reboot. The issue seems to be random in nature, I have not really noticed particular activities that set it off, I do often have many programs open at once but I've had it happen even with just google chrome open. I have attached a picture of one of one of the many freeze screens, sometimes I get the checkered patterns, other times just black, the most recent solid pink and almost always with a white square where the cursor was. Sometime the screen will go back to what was on it when it froze, other times will go to solid black after a few minutes. 

In some cases right before the crash the mouse cursor will change icons to an odd looking 8 bit cursor, never have had time to capture this phenonmenon. Recently the longest I think ive gone without a crash is 2 days. Putting the computer to sleep and letting it cool does not seem to help either so not sure if its an overheating issue. I have scanned for viruses with AVG and malwarebytes, cleaned and fixed registry issues with Ccleaner and none of that has helped so I'm guessing its hardware. First thought was graphics card, does this look like a sign of it failing? Next thought was RAM, not sure how I can check this though. Third thought was the battery could be bad, tested running on AC only and thought I had it figured out but it crashed again after a day or so running. 

This is my first post here so sorry if I did not format everything right, any help would be greatly appreciated as this is getting unbearable. 

Thanks,

-Nikos

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2014 - 01:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

the checkered pattern is a classic 'graphics card dying' symptom...

edit: I've had machines pull out of it for a short while, before it just goes black forever.

edit edit: maybe someone else knows a different circumstance, that's just my experience...

Edited by TsVk!, 15 February 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, something like that can't be software related IMHO

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

If the hardware isn't dying completely, I would say that looks like a overheating issue. Artifacting like that tends to point towards heat or driver issues too. Depends on the laptop, but most cpu/gpu are on the same chip. If the cpu and gpu are separated, then they are still usually connected together using the same heatsink manifold. Both the cpu and gpu aluminum heatsinks draw heat away. They would be connected together by a copper tube that wicks the heat from the gpu's side and draws it to the cpu's side. Then, from there the fan blows out the excess heat. Sitting in bed with a laptop on the blanket ect will surely kill your laptop. Ironically they call them LAPtops. :) I would monitor the temps either in the bios. Or download speccy and install it. The temps are right on the front page under summary. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/  How to publish a speccy snapshot to the forum...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

If it is a heat issue then you need the laptop serviced. If it's still under warranty then call the manufacturer.

Edited by technonymous, 15 February 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#5 NikosGT

NikosGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

Ok I have updated my graphics drivers to see if that helps, I thought they were up to date but apparently not. Have not had it freeze yet but have not run the computer more than a few hours and light use (chrome, skype, windows explorer). My laptop has a discrete graphics card, ive learned the hard way before to not block the vent, so even when using it on the bed I will keep it on a old textbook, issue has happened while using it on the desk too though. My CPU temp normally stays around 50 C under light load which seems a bit hot. Here is a snapshot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZZ1QU2JRAKLEAhYOjIa0aeV

#6 NikosGT

NikosGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Ok, another update. Updated drivers were not the cure, crashed again with a similar pattern to the pic I posted in the first post. I had 3ds max open but was not using. Guessing the first response is right and the GPU is dying, I guess for the moment ill have to avoid using anything graphically intensive, which will make it hard to anything productive but the lost work from the frequent shutdowns is getting intolerable. Looks like a new GT120M would run me atleast $120 and I dont feel like putting any more money into this thing, was never a good laptop to start with. Will put that money towards a new PC, if anyone has any suggestions though on alternative fixes I'd be happy to give them a shot/ 

Edited by NikosGT, 15 February 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

It's a heating issue and it needs to be serviced. If you keep using it, you risk blowing something up permanently.

Could be several things...

1. Thermal paste dried out and the contact isn't good anymore.

2. The heatsink is loose.

3. The fan inside is siezed and not spinning at all, or really slow. It needs replaced or the bearing needs oiled.

4. Clogged up with dust.

5. All the above.

#8 NikosGT

NikosGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

I went and cleaned the dust out of the case with compressed air yesterday, keeping it raised above the table to allow some airflow under it. So far 1 day including some gaming and heavier applications and no freezes, I'm sure right as I think I have solved it the problem will happen again. If the problem recurs I will take out the heatsink and clean it out, I imagine it has some dust in it, didnt do it because guessing I need to replace the thermal paste if I do that? Fan spins fine so don't think thats the issue. 

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

I went and cleaned the dust out of the case with compressed air yesterday, keeping it raised above the table to allow some airflow under it. So far 1 day including some gaming and heavier applications and no freezes, I'm sure right as I think I have solved it the problem will happen again. If the problem recurs I will take out the heatsink and clean it out, I imagine it has some dust in it, didnt do it because guessing I need to replace the thermal paste if I do that? Fan spins fine so don't think thats the issue. 

Well blowing out probably helped. The thing is dust collects bit by bit and then it builds on more and more untill that dust clog gets so thick sometimes even compressed air won't knock it out. Sometimes it gets knocked off and sent through the fan and gets stuck there. If it still continues to heat up then you need to get inside the laptop and blow it out. The dust can cake on the fan and generally cause the fan not blow air as hard. If you have ever had a house fan that was clogged and took the grill apart and washed the blade, put it all together again. It blows twice as hard. It's the same concept with a computers fans. Blowing air through the vents isn't as good as being inside the case and really blasting away the dust bunnies. I use a toothbrush to scrub fan blades then blow them out. In a computer desktop the cpu fan blows downward onto the cpu's heatsink aluminum fins. This typically cakes a nice layer of dust that's thick like a wasp paper nest. It's some really thick stuff and you literally have to scrub it out. Sometimes even unmount the heatsink and wash it. I have found all kinds of icky things in a pc, server, acrade box. Things you don't want to touch without a respirator and rubber gloves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users