Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paltalk Greys out Close Window

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 doflyjets

doflyjets

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

It is of no success contacting Paltalk for this problem so maybe I can find some help here. paltalk free subscribers get a ad which blocks you from closing out the chatroom window. If you was to try to close the chatroom by right clicking the taskbar thingy that show the program you will see that Close Alt+F4 is greyed out till the ad is done. If yuou try closiong it using task manager it will close the whole program. i dont want that.

I want to circumvent that. I beleive Paltalk shouldn't be allowed that much control. Forcing people to watch an ad upon closing the chatroom window is in my mind is criminal and an act against a component of free will.

What I need help doing is finding a setting in Windows Vista Home Basic (x86) that can prevent Paltalk from having that kind of control and no i canot go to windows 7 nor 8 because of older hardware. Also I do not wish to upgrade because of this forceful act upon people. I just want to prevent paltalk doing this in windows. I want to be able to close a window without this happening. I shouldn't have to buy a subscription just to close a window. I have friends on Paltalk so I rather not delete it.

Here is the iimage.

Attached File  paltalkforcesads.jpg   105.08KB   1 downloads

Thanks for any effective help :grinner:

Reminder: Contacting Paltalk support has no effect.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2014 - 11:26 AM.
Moved from Vista to Web Browsing/Email, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

From what I see, the ads are part of the usage agreement for the free version.  The alternative is to upgrade to a paid version

Per http://www.paltalk.com/support/Install.html :

"Paltalk is ad supported when using the free version of the software and does NOT report your browsing habits like an 'adware' or 'spyware' program would do.  Paltalk simply displays ad banners within its own windows.  Paid subscribers do not see any ad banners.  We hope this helps you to understand the distinction between 'adware' and 'ad supported' software."

Louis

#3 doflyjets

doflyjets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I do understand that adware can stop you from closing a window. Manipulating windows functions like that is adware. Ad supported, safer programs wont do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It is a unfair agreement because no windwos functions should be manipulated at all. I should have full control of ANY program ad supported free version hoopla paoid free whatever there has got to be a work around. I refuse to upgrade just so I can close a window. Paltalk is getting worse with the ads. There is a law that covers unfair contracts and agreements. I forgot it's name.

Edited by doflyjets, 15 February 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

There is a law that covers unfair contracts and agreements. I forgot it's name.

It's a state by state thing, in the US, and usually falls in the category of "Unfair and Unconscionable Contracts" law.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 doflyjets

doflyjets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Paltalk sure is pushing the lines of "Inequality of bargaining power". Pressuring people to buy service through adware techniques. Pounding people with ads. I can see the bottom of a chatroom and private message window as fair. Adding and ad upon exitting or entering a chatroom room and closing a 'PM' window and won't allow you to close it until it is ready to close sure is pushing the vocabulary of ".... out of undue influence or under severe external pressure that another person exploited".

Now since I own this pc and I feel I have a very valid reason what is the system parameters that will say. "paltalk no permission to touch this component "

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

check the UEFI...

I bet you agreed to that stuff. If you don't like it, uninstall it.

#7 doflyjets

doflyjets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

It is an unfairt UEFI and it will be declared as illegal and I bet on that. Thanks god there is no net neutrality so we can sue for this act of Paltalk.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

So you want a great product to work for free, closed source.... How do you expect people to make a living handing out free software then?

I think your law suit would end in trying to find a lawyer.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Now since I own this pc and I feel I have a very valid reason what is the system parameters that will say. "paltalk no permission to touch this component "

But if you are using Windows or Apple as an OS you don't own the software that allows you to connect. You only have a license to use it within the OS license restrictions. I'm not saying Paltalk is right. I'm just saying I doubt it's a battle worth fighting.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

How about:

"Paltalk Express: Free chat rooms, IM and video chat — right from your browser?"

PalTalk EXPRESS - about

Note the: "Introducing PaltalkExpress beta"

PalTalk EXPRESS Log in page.

This would allow you to use your browser for PalTalk instead of running a separate PalTalk application installed on your computer.  Presumably this would do away with not being able to close that application.  You would simply close the browser's PalTalk tab/window.

You may have to un-install the PalTalk application before PalTalk Express will work properly.

On a side note:
Paltalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In June 2013, it was revealed that Paltalk was targeted by the National Security Agency's PRISM surveillance program.[10][11]

Last Sentence under the "Legal Troubles" section.

As for picking a legal fight with PalTalk, you might want to read the entire "Legal Troubles" section(it's not long).  I get the impression that even if you won, it would cost a bundle and lot of time.

#11 doflyjets

doflyjets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

What's the trick to askl windows not to allow programs to disable Close ALT+F4? I still have the right to circumvent that. Sounds like you all are defending paltalk. PALTALK DOES NOT OWN MICROSOFT WINDOWS! Close+ALT F4 is a system function!! PALTALK HAS NO RIGHT!!

That's all I am asking for. I do not want to totally disable the ads. Spywareblaster does a great job of blocking most of the ad streams that are blacklisted anyway. I use it to help prevent any malicious attacks surfing the web. I know some 'ads' get through that can do even more than that. I remember one time there was a pop up while sitting in a Paltalk room that wanted me to download a fake antivirus. I had to close Paltalk in task manager to lose it and scan my pc. Luckily nothing was dropped onto my system. This was almost a month ago. I believe ads help companies but they really should not be so rigorous and they also need to monitor their ad streams. Things like this turn some people away. 

There was a time I did have a paid subscription. Back in 2009 the ads werent really bad. I didnt mind paying to upgrade ebcause they werent so bad. I do like their service but dang times get rough I cannot always afford to renew a subscription. Throwing ads at me isn't wise. 

Paltalk express doesn't always work so well. Some functions wont work at times. No big deal.

All I want is to ask windows not to allow CLOSE+F4 to be tampered with. 

Edited by doflyjets, 16 February 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#12 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

Maybe this will do:

SuperF4 - Kill programs instantly with Ctrl+Alt+F4 - Google Project Hosting

SuperF4 Trusted Freeware download and reviews - SnapFiles.com

Edit:

The first link explains that, and I'm paraphrasing here:

"When you press ALT+F4, you're only asking the foreground program to exit, allowing the program to decide for itself what to do."

So, even if the ALT+F4 key combo worked, the entire program would close.  In any case you try SuperF4 and see if it is of any use.

Edited by FlannelBack, 17 February 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

I said it before, I'll say it again...

Check the UEFI.

I bet you already agreed to persistent modules on your system, and more.  If you don't like it, uninstall it.

#14 doflyjets

doflyjets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Maybe this will do:

SuperF4 - Kill programs instantly with Ctrl+Alt+F4 - Google Project Hosting

SuperF4 Trusted Freeware download and reviews - SnapFiles.com

Edit:

The first link explains that, and I'm paraphrasing here:

"When you press ALT+F4, you're only asking the foreground program to exit, allowing the program to decide for itself what to do."

So, even if the ALT+F4 key combo worked, the entire program would close.  In any case you try SuperF4 and see if it is of any use.

Well thanks! That should workaround Paltalk adware act! It did work pressing win + F4 closes out the whole program have to relog in. Fair enough.:)

TSVK, that UEFI is unfair and anyone agreeing to it can be excused from it, so I am not listening. 

Edited by doflyjets, 17 February 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

Maybe your sense of entitlement is not justified. Maybe you should pay for a license if you really believe in the software and use it, then support the people who are supporting you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users