Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

***** Newly built Computer DOES NOT SEE 2nd Hard Drive **** HELP**

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rentalking

rentalking

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hey Guys,

I just built a new computer for video editing ( So I have 2 Hard Drives....one HDD and one SSD -- the SSD houses the operating system -- windows 7 -- and the HDD is supposed to house all the files that I will be storing). When i go into my BIOS I see that the system recognizes that there are in fact 2 Hard Drives ....The Crucial SSD (240 GIG and the 2 TB West Digital HDD. When I launch windows and go into My Computer it does not show the West Digital Hard drive. 

Could you please help me out and/or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Here is the setup of what I am running:

Processor: i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth z77
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X Graphics Card GV-N770OC-4GD
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series CP-9020039-NA650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply 
Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handles, Black

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

If it's a new disk it probably just needs to be formatted.  Is the second disk shown in Disk Management (Right Click "Computer" and choose Manage, then Disk Management)?  IF so you just need to right click the unallocated space and choose "New Simple Volume" and follow the process through to format the disk.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

Just built one with almost the same setup you did and found I had to do what jonuk76 said.  Just went in disk management and walla, done deal.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Another vote for same :), Windows cannot see/reflect an unformatted...other than reflecting it in Disk Management.  It needs to be formatted to show up in My Computer or be used by Windows.  You may have to Initialize it before being allowed to format.

How to Initialize a New Hard Drive eHow.com - http://www.ehow.com/how_4918155_initialize-new-hard-drive.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users