Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting a Dynamic disk to Simple

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Priista

Priista

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

I didn't find an existing topic more closely suited for my question, so here goes.

Attempting to free up enough space in my C:\ drive to create a dual-boot drive on my Windows 7 laptop so I
could install Windows 8.1, I ran Partition Wizard to consolidate free space by moving non-movable files
closer to the rest of the data files. 

Partition Wizard (Free) increased the unallocated space from 118MB to 226GB, which gave me enough space to create
a 200 GB partition for Windows 8.1.  However, all the partitions in the disk are now dynamic and will not
accept the Windows 8.1 operating system.  I suspect Partition Wizard converted the simple disk into dynamic in
order to move the non-movable files.

EaseUS Partition Master (EUS-PM) has an option to convert a dynamic disk to simple, but it warns that some files
may be lost and the system may not start.

I have two system images of my 500 GB C: drive, one as a simple disk and another as a dynamic disk; as well as a
backup of my files and a repair disk I created when making the first (simple disk) image.

As I see it, one option is to go ahead and run EUS-PM.  If files are lost or computer won't boot, I have
a backup and a boot disk to rely on.  But for restoring the image, one concern I have is that my simple disk
image is well over 400 GB, including the empty space between the actual data and the non-movable files, but
my reduced C:\ partition is now only around 250 GB so I'm leary of attempting to restore a system image that
takes up over 400 GB of disk space because of non-movable files into a 250 GB partition.

Perhaps another option is to restore the dynamic image into the simple disk.  But it seems to me I would end-up
with a dynamic disk again, back to square 1.

As a last resort, I could wipe the drive and restore the simple system image.  But would that only place the
non-movable files back where they were to start with and leave me with just 118 MB of unallocated space again?

I do have installation software for Windows 7 and 8.1.  Perhaps wiping the disk, partitioning, installing both

operating systems, then copying Windows 7 documents is the only possible solution? 

Can anyone suggest another option?

Thanks,

Priista

HP Laptop, Windows 7, 500 GB; 2 TB External Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

See Simpler Solution .

FWIW:  It's standard procedure for some disk utilities to provide warnings that possibly loss of data may ensue...that's standard fare that one should not have to be told (IMO) when attempting back up, reclaim, or otherwise modify the partition structure of a hard drive.  Data loss is always possible (but not probable, IMO).

Louis

#3 Priista

Priista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the link Louis.  I'll try the recommendations given there; it'll be much less risky to convert one partition at a time rather than all partitions in the disk at once, which I thought was the only way to proceed with the conversion.

Priista

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

EaseUS Partition Master (EUS-PM) has an option to convert a dynamic disk to simple, but it warns that some files
may be lost and the system may not start.

It means there is more than 4 partitions in your HDD. EPM is great and can convert Dynamic to Basic without data loss but it only support converting up to 4 partitions. Additional partitions and the data within them will be lost. What i would recommend is to delete the newly created 200GB partition which is empty ( then total partitions will became four ) and then you will be able to convert.

But it is too risky to do any partitioning operations from within Windows. It is less risky when performed from a bootable live CD. Partition Wizard Home Boot CD  will be the best tool in your case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html

Make sure to backup all the data to an external medium before converting. After successful conversion, boot from the "System Repair CD" and run "Startup Repair" to correct some boot parameters.  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 February 2014 - 10:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users