Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing randomly, blue-screens on occasion, woe is me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SoulSnatcher

SoulSnatcher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

First of here are my specs,

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU: AMD FX-4100: 33 °C - Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M68MT-S2 (Socket M2): 42 °C
Graphics: HP w2007 (1680x1050@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6670 (Gigabyte): 42 °C
Storage: 465GB Seagate ST500DM0 02-1BC142 SCSI Disk Device (SATA): 34 °C
Optical Drives: ATAPI iHAS124 B SCSI CdRom Device
Audio: AMD High Definition Audio Device

254.png Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/X276F4h18FEHQiue5hLfnGU

Once it freezes, I have to do a cold shutdown to get it to shut off. I can try turning it back on but then it says "Operating system not found" or something along the lines of that. I have to open up the case, either I dunno air it out and fiddle with the wires in the hopes that it works again, and most of the time, it does for some reason. Until it freezes again and this happens all over again.

I've already tried cleaning the inside for dust (and it seems mostly clean) and unplugging and reconnecting some cords on the inside. I don't know what else to do.

help...!?

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2014 - 06:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

Wild guess

Are all of the fans working? Double check the CPU cooler fan

Are all of your programs, OS, security software up to date?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi, You said

I have to open up the case, either I dunno air it out and fiddle with the wires in the hopes that it works again, and most of the time, it does for some reason. Until it freezes again and this happens all over again.

and unplugging and reconnecting some cords on the inside.

This makes it sound as if you have a loose connection. Which wires are you moving, drives or power to the motherboard?

Also I suggest this is not the best thing to be doing as you could be wearing the connectors so that they are loose.

Can you post a image of the inside with arrows pointing to the wires You fiddle with?

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 SoulSnatcher

SoulSnatcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

All the fans appear to be working correctly.

I only fiddle with the connections to the HDD, the SATA cable and the other thing.

I ended up running a scan with Seagate's SeaTools and got a FAIL status on the HDD. Could that potentially be the problem? Thought it would also be worth mentioning that once it boots back up chkdsk often runs on its own and says it's "deleting bad sectors" or something along the lines of that.

QSlYt2E.png

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hi,

My vote is for a HDD slipping into failure mode. Hope you have a good backup

Dick E

#6 SoulSnatcher

SoulSnatcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thank goodness I do have a semi-recent backup, well at least for my important files. You reckon I should get a new HDD (or SSD seeing as those are supposed to be more reliable)?

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Hi,

The drive is your choice. They both have advantages and disadvantages. HDDs are usually cheaper /GB than SSDs. SSDs are faster than HDDs.

I'm still running HDDs and may switch the primary one of these days when the budget and the mood move me.

Some recommend putting just the OS on the SSD and everything else on a HDD. Possibly the better/best of both worlds

Dick E

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

Thank goodness I do have a semi-recent backup, well at least for my important files. You reckon I should get a new HDD (or SSD seeing as those are supposed to be more reliable)?

If you're using something like True Image be sure to FULL backup partition imagining included. Reason being, in a HD failure without the proper full snapshot you wont be able to put the image on a new drive and have it bootable. I had a drive do this just the other day. It started out with losing it's settings in the bios and random lockups etc just like your problems. It finally sung it's last song with a click of death noise. :rip:

I swapped the drive for a new and thrown in the True Image cdrom boot disk and restored a 8gig backup from another drive in the system. It took about about 9 minutes and was back up and running. A USB external backup will take much longer. A drive in the system is best to recover from, so you take advantage of the full increased bus speed of the UltraDMA ATA/IDE and SATA1/2/3.

Edited by technonymous, 15 February 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

HI, My Two cents worth.

That drive is circling the drain from what Seatools and Your report about "chkdsk often runs on its own and says it's "deleting bad sectors"" says.

Your choice to go SSD or Hard drive. I run all SSD drives for the operating system and regular drives for data. I leave everything on the SSD for best performance. At this time I run Intel or Samsung SSD drives only. That is based on reliability reports.

At this time I see a 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO  for $299.00 on Amazon and $324.99 on Newegg. The 1 Terabyte is $547 on Amazon and $549 on Newegg with free shipping for both sizes on Newegg or Amazon. 

For Comparison a 1Terabyte Seagate on Newegg is $70 and $67 on Amazon.

FWIW I only buy from Amazon or Newegg when it shows fulfilled by Amazon or Newegg.

This is the HDDTune on the Samsung 1Tb SSD. Note: the 1Tb benchmarks slower than the 750Gb.

samsung-1tb-ssd.jpg

Notice the difference between the SSD and the Regular hard drive.

Data transfer rates are more or less flat and the access time is low on the SSD especially compared to a hard drive.

HDDTune on a 1TB 7200 RPM Hard drive

hdtune-seagate-1tb.jpg

Pros and cons

SSD High speed by comparison - Pro

SSD Low heat output and energy usage - Pro

SSD much better at impact and vibration resistance.

Data Recovery from a dead SSD, Hard and expensive - Con

Hard drive, Slower, more heat, more energy usage - Con

Hard Drive, Data recovery, easier and less expensive - Pro

Heavier - Con

I have presented benchmarks and current pricing for both types to help You decide between them.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 February 2014 - 11:41 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users