Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doing a clean install of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I just bought a new pc with Windows 8, so seeing as Microsoft will no longer be supporting XP after April 2014, I would like to do a clean install on my old machine...a Dell Dimension 3000.  I don't have a CD to boot it up with, so I am wondering what is the easiest way to accomplish this?  Also do I need to have SP3 installed before doing so?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Take A Look

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

After you follow the above go to the Microsoft update page and down SP3,  just did a couple of Dells that series came with SP1 or SP2.  SP3 has a ton of extras which included much sought after 54G wireless drivers.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up Phil...I will be sure to do that.

#5 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

OK, Louis...I tried the test on the link that you sent me, but I didn't get any indication that the restore partition was activated...I don't think that I'm savvy enough to go any deeper without ultimate guidance...help please?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

I'm not familiar with Dells or recovery partitions...I only know what I read about such.  Be patient, there are many members with more widespread experience and knowledge :).

Louis

#7 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Well, thanks for trying...I've tried a few other suggestions also, but my i386 folder does not contain a file labeled "winnt 32.exe", which seems to be where the recovery information should be stored on my PC.  I did manage to find a recovery CD for XP for sale on Amazon.com...so I guess that's my only option now.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

If the Recovery CD you are looking at on Amazon is one of those $12 disks, this will not reinstall your OS. Right click on My Computer, select manage, then Disk Management. How many partitions are shown on the hard drive?

#9 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think I see only two partitions...the primary, and the basic or (C:) 37.25GB  NTFS...I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, I've never been here before.  I'm not much of a techie...

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

You only have one partition. I believe your computer came with a 40GB. How much ram do you have. You can check that by right clicking my computer, properties. It is under the General tab.

#11 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

I only have one gig of ram...I've had this baby for a long time.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Because XP support and all security updates will stop in April of this year, I recommend you install a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu 32bit version. It should run fine on your computer with 1GB or ram. If you do install mint or Ubuntu I recommend the LTS version. Ubuntu has a tremendous amount of support.

Linux Mint 13 LTS

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

You would have to download the iso file and burn the image either using your windows 8 computer built in burner or software like Imgburn.

You can boot the DVD as a Live CD and see how you like each. Then do the install.

#13 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't know if I want to go that route...I'm just going to be giving this old PC away anyways...I just wanted to remove all of my data before I do, and I thought a clean install would be the simplest solution...apparently not!  Can I get a recovery CD from Dell? 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,965 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Because the computer is so old, I am not sure if Dell even offers the recovery CD anymore. They used to give them for free if you were within the warranty period. Here is the link but I do not think it will work in your case. Input your service tag. If it does not work, email Dell support and ask if you can order a new recovery disk. It should not be more than $20 or $30 dollars.

Here is another company that sells recovery disks that will install the OS. I cannot vouch for them as I have never ordered from them. I would try this only if Dell does not offer the disks. According to there site the recovery disks for the Dell Dimension 3000 is $26.99 with free shipping.

#15 Kauaiguy58

Kauaiguy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I knew it was a long shot, but I contacted Dell support anyway...They were really pretty cool about it and offered to send out a Windows XP installation disc first thing next week at no cost...I guess they don't figure to be needing them much any more.  Thanks for all your help and concern.  It was much appreciated. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users