Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing but no BSOD or reboot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brad1138

brad1138

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

I built my Computer, FX-8350 (with aftermarket cooler), Radeon HD 7870 and 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ and Gigabyte 970A-UD3 MoBo. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. About 1-3 times a month, it will freeze. It never happens when I am using it, but I will come back to it after being away for a while and the screen is black (I have it set to turn off after a few mins), the numb lock light is on the keyboard and the computer is running, but it won't respond to keyboard or mouse actions. I have to reset to get it to use it. When I do that it will say "Windows didn't shut down properly" during boot, but it never say anything when it gets to windows (like "Windows has had a serious issue.." etc. ) and there is no crash dump file in the minidump folder.

I though maybe it had something to do with it automatically going into sleep mode, but I turned that off and it still did it.

Any Ideas?

Edited by brad1138, 14 February 2014 - 02:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

How do you have the Power Options configured?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 brad1138

brad1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Currently I have the display set to sleep after 10 min and the computer never. I manually put the computer to sleep and it never has a problem with that. I have Hybrid sleep disabled and never Hibernate.

Edited by brad1138, 14 February 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

I would start by updating the video card driver, and then the motherboard chipset drivers.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 brad1138

brad1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

I would start by updating the video card driver, and then the motherboard chipset drivers.

Ya I just checked and there are updates for both (I know I should have tried that before posting). This is the first time I have used Radeon, I had always had been a NVidia fan. The Radeon drivers and AMD chipset drivers install a lot of the same things, should I still install chipset last? Also, should I uninstall any drivers first?

Thanks

Edited by brad1138, 14 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#6 brad1138

brad1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I did a full re-install of the OS, reset BIOS, the works. Installed the newest drivers. I will see if it acts up again. 

Edited by brad1138, 15 February 2014 - 06:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users