Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help... Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 klarinette

klarinette

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

I have a dell with windows xp and everytime i start it, it gets to the welcome screen and freezes. Then a blue screen flashes and the computer restarts. It gets to the welcome screen and does it all over again. Please help me, i'm not very "computer savvy" so i don't really understand all of the lingo.. so if you could explain it simply that'd be great.
Thank you so much.. -Kathryn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

Ok. When you start your computer. Hit and hold the f8 button at the top of your keyboard. See if you get a black screen with some options. You should get a option restart computer with last known configuration. Give that a shot and see what happens.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

Hello, Welcome to BC.

What you are getting actually is called a system crash. The screen that flickers and disappears is called a BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death. It actually has an error message that is very important to troubleshoot the problem of why your system is doing this. Unfortunately we can not get it because the computer can not get into Windows to facilitate it.

You say you are not too computer savvy. To fix this you might need some of it but we will try to help you as much as we can. If some one gets too far ahead of what you think you can do please let us know right away.

One thing which might help is if you have a friend that is computer savvy is to have the friend help you with what we are going to do.

You are going to have some questions to answer on your computer. We need the following:

Make and model, Operating System and if Service Pack 2 is installed, the amount of Ram installed and whether or not you have a Windows system disk for the computer that is the disk used to install Windows.

I am going to give you a link to go to and I would like you to print the article so you and your friend have a copy to go by for the procedure. I would like to ask that you do not try to go thru this without help from your friend. I would also suggest that you read this article so you have a knowledge of what is going to happen with this procedure.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

One thing if you have Service Pack 2 installed it is going to be not advisable to proceed with this process, and I would strongly advise calling Tech Support for the computer for help with this problem. They maybe the only way to fix this.

Please try to answer the questions I have asked and I will try to help as much as possible.

#4 Techsrvcs

Techsrvcs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:59 AM

Do you know the brand and model of the hard drive? What is the model of your Dell? Is it still under warranty.

What you describe is typical of a hard drive failure. They have been having a large number of failures with their Western Digital 80 GB and larger drives, and with Samsung drives, based on what we are seeing in our shop.

You can find out about your warranty information by going to Product Support at www.dell.com, typing in your Service Tag number, then clicking on the lines for warranty information. Or click on Original Configuaration.

If under warranty, Find some time when you can sit back, relax and waste a few hours on the phone because this will take a while. You will need your original Dell Disc Set that came with your machine. You will eventually get to talk to a nice tech support person from Indian, Pakistan, Jamaica, Indonesia, or other location outside the US. This person will have you go through a large number of steps to discover the problem. You will lose all your data in the process.

Eventually, they will help you get it working, or they will determine what I believe, that it is a defective hard drive and send you another, or send a contract Dell repair person out to your home to replace it. The repair person will not be allowed to talk to you much.

Either way, you will be up and running soon with a drive known to be reliable... it likely will not be the same brand and model that failed.

If your computer is no longer in warranty, you should drive out to your friendly Wal-Mart store or favorite computer supply store and buy a new hard drive. I recommend Seagate because they have a five-year warranty. Wal-Mart is no longer handling Seagate when current stock runs out, but some stores have a few left at amazingly low prices. I bought a Seagate 80 GB at Wal-Mart last night for $60.

Most drives come with a setup disc that prepares it for use. Once you setup the drive, use the discs that came with your Dell to reinstall Windows XP and all your data. It will seem confusing at first, but you will eventually get it right. This is actually a fun, positive experience because of all that you learn, and because of the satisfaction you get by making the repair.

The hard part is opening the case and getting the old drive out. Just be patient. If a human made it, a human can fix it.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:55 AM

It seems to me that the advice offered so far is a little premature. We have not done ANY troubleshooting on this computer and yet solutions have been posted. Don't get me wrong, you may be correct in your assessment of this situation, but it is just a guess at this point.

Here is my advice to klarinette:

See if you can boot into safe mode by hitting your F8 key repeatedly at bootup, and choosing safe mode from the list of booting options that will present itself.

If successful to go:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

UNcheck Automatically Restart. Click OK. Reboot your computer normally. Now the computer will pause at the blue screen and we can actually see what it says. We need this information to make a diagnosis.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 klarinette

klarinette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:23 PM

I've been getting to my desktop before it restarts by doing the last good configuration thing, and i think this whole debacle has to do with SpySheriff because it pops up and then my computer restarts.

I doubt my dell is still under warranty i got it about 5 years ago. It is a Dimension 8200.

Whenever it first started restarting was whenever the little X in the righthand corner told me i had spyware.

#7 Techsrvcs

Techsrvcs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

Does your computer has RAMBUS memory?

Your report on SpySheriff is extremely Alarming... and is the probable cause of your problem. Spyware Removal companies must love it. Fixing it is another thing, however.

SpySheriff represents itself as a Spywear Remover, even to the point of having a nice logo and website. However, it is a Trojan, among the most evil of the current infestations online... a parasite destroying hundreds of computers everyday. It slide onto your XP computer by nefarious means.. a numer of different trojans... some say as many as 125 different ways.

It first changes the Desktop background to a screen to a fake setting with an expensive looking warning message. Then it blocks most attempts to connect to the internet, and thwarts various removal tools. This malwear has methods to prevent its destruction or elimination. It embeds itself in the registry in at least six ways and probably more.

Amazingly, SpySheriff gets itself running automatically on every Windows startup.

There are many removal techniques for experienced geeks who are good with HiJack.com and registry edits. For the everyday user, however, I think it is best to use Spyware Doctor (my current favorite), Pest Patrol, XoftSpy, SpywareHunter5, Webroot Spyware, and just a few others.

Do not use a downloaded version. Buy it on disc. Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club, Best Buy and a few others are having specials now on PestPatrol combined with the Excellent EZAntiVirus, Spyware Doctor, and Webroot SpySweeper.

Install the Spyware remover, then run it in Safe Mode several times.

Removal will take hours. Not removing it could ruin your computer... certainly it will block access to your data.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

Well, the SpySherriff infection is indeed a bad one, but it is removable in most cases. Your case may be tough as you can't get the computer to even run, really. HERE is a tutorial on how to remove this infection.

This infection has been removed hundreds of times in the HiJack This forum here at BC also. It would be good to get a log posted there if possible.

FIRST - let's see if you can boot into safe mode. Start up your computer and hit the F8 key repeatedly, then select 'Safe Mode' when presented with this option. If you can start in safe mode, then we have something tangable to work with!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 Tim64

Tim64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

I've been getting to my desktop before it restarts by doing the last good configuration thing, and i think this whole debacle has to do with SpySheriff because it pops up and then my computer restarts.

I doubt my dell is still under warranty i got it about 5 years ago. It is a Dimension 8200.

Whenever it first started restarting was whenever the little X in the righthand corner told me i had spyware.

Well now that you can get to your desktop you have 2 options. Go to Start.....all programs.......accessories........then system restore. You can roll that back a few days or weeks is needed see if that fixes it. After that gets done you forsure need to get some scans for anti-virus and spyware done. Or you can go to start...run....type in the box "msconfig" Without the quotaiton marks. After you type msconfig hit the ok button at the bottom of the box . Click on the Start-up tab and remove whatever programs you dont want or need during start up. Uncheck the boxes you dont want the programs to start when the computer does. Click apply. Reboot the computer..LEAVE THE BOOT UP TAB ALONE!! JUST USE THE STARTUP TAB!!!! Playing with the Boot up tab can make your computer worse than it already is..

After you get this fixed. I do have a guide to help with getting rid of the spyware and antivirus if you want let me know. I will post it for you.

Edited by Tim64, 13 May 2006 - 10:05 PM.

#10 klarinette

klarinette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

I started off with the system restoration.. and then did albert's tutorial on how to remove SpySheriff. Everything worked great, and i'm pleased to say that i'm writing this from my own computer. Thank you guys so much... it really means alot, and i'm glad to know that there are people that are generous enough to help me and expect nothing in return. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

and then did albert's tutorial on how to remove SpySheriff. Everything worked great, and i'm pleased to say that i'm writing this from my own computer.

Great for you! Good job! I would love to take credit for the tutorial, but it was Grinler's work!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users