Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie needs help

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 eatapeach77

eatapeach77

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hi, i am wondering if some one could tell me why i have different mobile phones showing up on my network that are nothing to do with me and how i can get rid of them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2014 - 10:17 AM.
Moved from Networking to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Is your network secure? By this I mean do you have a password required to connect? If you do not have to type a password to connect, anyone within range can connect. If you do not have a password, it would be wise to log into the router and enter one. You can log into the router and may be able to kick devices but if your connection is unsecured they will be able to reconnect at will.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Zingo is on it.... make sure you have a complicated WPA2 password set up for authentication on your network.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

I agree with both my colleagues above, but I feel they have each got half the story without connecting the two halves.

Zingo is entirely correct, you should have your network secured, and TsVk! is equally correct when he mentions WPA2,or more correctly WPA-PSK2, but neither have explained how to achieve this worthy condition.

A lot of browsers supplied by ISPs today come with security already pre-set. I don't know where you live, or even which country you live in, but in the UK Sky and BT, at least, both supply routers with security pre-set and the access codes are printed on the back of their respective routers, but if you bought the router yourself, it is almost certainly wide open and you have to do it yourself. I will work on the basis that you bought it.

First of all, you have to access the router control panel from your browser. The most common way of doing this is to type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in your router then pressing 'Enter'. There are other possible codes, but your router documentation will give this information.

This will usually bring up a box which says a Username and password are required. Very common default ones are 'admin' and 'admin' (sometimes with an upper case 'A') or - don't laugh - 'admin' and 'password'. Again, your router documentation should give these. And if the password turns out to be either 'admin' or 'password', THEN YOU SHOULD CHANGE IT AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNTY, which is just about to come up !

You should now have access to your router's control panel. If you look around, you will find an option to change the router password, and if it was either 'admin' or 'password' change it to almost anything else and make a note of it !

Then, you will find a section on the Wireless LAN, or WLAN. In this you will find a section on security. Here you have several choices - none, WEP or WPA-PSK2. There may be others, but these are the ones relevant to you and the best one to choose is WPA-PSK2. This will require you to generate a pass phrase from 13 to 64 characters long. It can be anything so long as it is memorable. A friend of mine uses DunfermlineFCareOK! - she is a fanatic fan of her local football team. Whatever it is, make a note of it. And you will normally have to enter it twice into the control panel of the router when you pick WPA-PSK2 security. Now log out of the router control panel, and you have secured it.

Write the access password and your WPA-PSK2 passphrase on a sticky label and stick it on the back of your router - that way you can always find them again if your memory fails.

Now you have to connect all your devices to the router. At your computer, click on the little icon on the taskbar for your wireless connection and you should see your router in the list that pops-up. Click on your router in this list, and click 'Connect'. After a moment or two another box will appear saying the router requires a passphrase. Type your passphrase into the box supplied, and tick the box that says 'Connect automatically'. After a few seconds, you will be connected.

You will need to repeat this process for every equipment that connects to your router by wi-fi - other computers, printers, mobile phones - but your network will be secured against other people using it unlesss you give them the passphrase..

Chris Cosgrove

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thank you for joining the dots for OP Chris... Not all of this is common knowledge for many.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

Think of it as having a business with a large glass window, on a busy city street. Everyone that walks past your business can see inside as they go by. And you can see them. With no doors locked, or say you have a door that you can push all the way open, that allows freedom to walk inside, and then carry anything that want out the door, that is basically what happens when you leave the access to your network wide open.

It has been beaten into the ground by both the White Hats & Black Hats, that Router & Firewall manufacturers, need to secure the appliance at the factory, with a set password that is on the label on the device. Such as what ISP's do with their Gateways that they lease out to the consumers.

Instead, manufacturers now leave wireless disabled on the device, and have the consumer turn it on, but do not require securing the device.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

Zingo is on it.... make sure you have a complicated WPA2 password set up for authentication on your network.

It does not have to be complicated, to secure the Wireless or administrator access. The more complicated the passphrase or ad in password is, the easier it is to forget what they are, or make an error when entering it.

I use a Hex style passphrase, that is eight characters. It is the same one on both of my Access Points, so that it is easy to know with me having to pull out a sheet of paper, with say 64 Hex characters which I can use on my Trendnet Tew-638apb or Engenius Access points.

There are some devices, that do not like Wireless security keys of more then 10 characters.

#8 eatapeach77

eatapeach77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hi all thanks for all the advice/info, have done all this but random phones keep appearing, would it just be my neighbours phones that its picking up? My lappy is defo not quite right. 

Also, something that has just freaked me out....I was going to create a separate account for my little boy, I turned on the guest account and there is this horrible face on it. Its a bit like a photo negative. Its quite scary.

Thanks in advance again if anyone responds. 

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

What makes you sure they are mobile phones? Where exactly are you seeing these devices listed? (example: in the list of available networks or the network map in Network and Sharing Center which is what it's called in Win7. I have no clue if you would see similar in other Windows versions)

As for the picture for the guest account you can change it. From your desktop, go to Control Panel/User Accounts. Make sure Guest Account is enabled. You should then be able to click the Guest Account icon and then Change picture.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Queen, can you combine this persons other thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524988/hi-any-info-or-advice-appreciated-please-from-new-person/ with this one. From his other post I advised him to take some screen shots. Thanks, Z.

Edited by zingo156, 20 February 2014 - 01:43 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#11 eatapeach77

eatapeach77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thankyou zingo. Ive never used the snip tool before and have now saved it as jpeg, it was saved as png. Ok. will try again! 

Also the phone that is on there is another one i have not seen yet, makes it 5 different phones ive seen. I am confused as to why the network would be unsecure, i have followed instructions, several times over. Maybe i just missed something...?

Im More weirded out by the horrible pictures assigned to the guest account and the one i set up for my son....

Thanks

Mel

#12 eatapeach77

eatapeach77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Here it is hopefully

Attached Files

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I only see 2 computers in the network list there, I did not see any strange pictures either. Where are those strange pictures? Are they the windows user thumbnail pictures when you log on to windows?

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Well now I'm curious about the screen on the guest account...lol

zingo I think he means in the section labeled Phones. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#15 eatapeach77

eatapeach77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Ok, so i am gathering that the ocam phone as well as the others that pop up are quite normal to see, ie  from neighbours or whatever. the pictures are thumbnails on the guest account which is never on, then another changed itself when i tried to set up an account for my little boy. I will try and do a screen shot again. Thanks for your patience. I am learning through all this.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users