Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Internet Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

I have set up a wireless router in an office, and everything works just fine. Any wireless user can just open their AOL software and be instantly surfing.

The problem/question here is concerning when the employees travel. When they are in wireless range either at the airport (NorthWest Airlines lounge) or at any major hotel (Sheraton, etc) they cannot just open AOL and be online. They must first open IE, and leave it open, then open AOL and they will be connected. If they shut down IE, they will be disconnected.

Can anyone explain this behaviour to me? Is this normal? Why?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

Yes, this is normal. The gateway they are using is utilizing some kind of proxy/content/rules based filtering. Essentualy they are blocking outgoing traffic that is not using HTTP or using some kind of useragent check for restricting by allowed clients for web access.

By opening IE, they are making a connection to the internet and then AOL is tunneling through that connection to get through the proxy. It is actually very frustrating for us that do maintain content filtering proxies that AOL is able to do this because we have to write special rules to filter the content that AOL can pull into your network through that tunnel.

Edited by ColdinCbus, 12 May 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:41 AM

Thank you very much!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users