Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plz Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

Ok i am helping a friend that has windows 98 on his computer
he had norton and uninstalled the norton, then he downloaded mcafee.
he had aol 8.0 and then put 9.0 on but he couldnt connect said something installing nessary files need to get
you connected, that completes then it says you must restart. then when it restarts it says installing network
adapters plz wait.. then that completes and says you must restart. so i let it restart then it goes back to installing network adapters.. and he dont even have a network card in the computer., just dail up. but after the second reboot it does let me get to the desktop.. but when i try aol again... it does the same thing installing nessary files needed to get you connected.

any idea what might be causing this.
What It Do!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Does any one know what i can do here i am lost!!!!!!!!!
What It Do!!

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:26 AM

so i let it restart then it goes back to installing network adapters.. and he dont even have a network card in the computer

That's not what it's looking for. :thumbsup:
AOL requires and installs it's own network adapter. One of the many reasons I never have or never will use it. If you look in the networking properties it will be listed there along with dial-up networking, etc when installed.
It really sounds to me as if there is something running preventing installation.
Have you tried installing via safe mode?

#4 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

For the majority of computers, AOL 9 is just too LARGE for the computer to handle.
It's crashed more computers than the Michaelangelo Virus.

Norton is almost as bad. A tremendous resource hog.

If one has to keep AOL for whatever perverted reason, never go above version 8 on a PC running Windows 98.
Even ver 8 has crashed thousands of older PC's running Windows 98.

As a Service Tech, I run into this all the time and have to go out to someones home and remove AOL 9 and back them down to ver 7 or 8 (if the PC will take it).

I carry ver's 6, 7, & 8 with me all the time. Ver 6 is best for the really old PC's.
Most PC's running Windows XP and 512 megs of RAM, will run ver 9 with little or no problems.
That depends on how many services and TSR's the person has running at the same time.

So what I'm trying to say is:
If you're having problems with ver 9, boot up in safe mode and de-install ver 9.
And remove its folder from the HD as well.
If the PC was doing OK with ver 8, reinstall it from the CD. Or if it's still on the PC, make a new shortcut to it and place that shortcut on the desktop.

Then look for a "Real" ISP. AOL is on its way out anyway.
They have just announced that they are eliminating 1700 help desk employees and closing the help center in Jacksonvill, FL.
It looks like you're going to have to know a second language like Hindi if you want help from AOL. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
The Shadow :flowers:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#5 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

thanks to both of you, we went ahead and zero'ed out the drive and formated and reloaded.... cuz we even went into safe mode and tried that. i've think it could of been a virus or something, cuz i never seen something like that.
What It Do!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users