Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive squeels while in certain games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doctorsugarbear

doctorsugarbear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

I've had this 320gb hard drive for years now and recently it's started making some noises. I actually bought a new 1TB drive because I was afraid it was dying, but I'm still curious as to why it's making noise. The thing is, it only makes noise while playing certain games. The Witcher 2 and Duke Nukem 3D in DOSbox are the only two games where it'll start making noise. However, the games aren't on that hard drive. The only thing on it is Linux Mint so it shouldn't even be in use, and Windows can't see it since it's an ext4 partition. I'm just curious if anyone has come across anything like this before and if I can do anything about it.

Is it possible to disable the drive while I'm in Windows so I don't have to hear it?

Windows 7 x64 (WD Black 1tb)

Linux Mint (WD 320gb)

Intel 3570k

8gb ddr3

Corsair HX 620w

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Some times, during the life of a normal drive, programs get installed and ipdates to the OS will scatter programs all over the drive space.  Harmonic vibrations between the motor that turns the platters and the servo motor that moves the head in and out over the platters can result   in humms, clicks, squeels and buzzes.  A defragmentation might reposition the files around enough to stop the annoying noise.  However, the same may erupt in a different part of the program of another program entirely.  This is age related.

#3 doctorsugarbear

doctorsugarbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Can that still happen if the files I'm accessing aren't on that drive? I formatted it and did a clean install of a new OS.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

It depends if the noise is created while in  a quiet state or only when reading from it.  Normally a reinstall will make it go away but the conditions still exist for it to reoccur.

Edited by mjd420nova, 14 February 2014 - 11:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users