Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Newbie looking for answers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wendymc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hi there,

I have a possible threat to my computer and need some advice.

My husband downloaded iTunes a couple of weeks ago, and since then, we've had some issues with programs we don't want and TONS of pop up ads. Sometimes when we search for something two tabs will open, one being the search and the other being an ad or some other page altogether. I always close out of the one I don't want, but it's irritating and I wonder who much damage this is all doing to my pc.

I have Malware installed and did a scan. I also have Norton 360 and AVG. I did a scan of AVG as well and it found a threat, which it took care of. That was a week ago. Today, the ads and added tabs came back. I did an AVG scan and it said that there are two possibly dangerous items that should be removed, both saying the same thing:

Hidden Drive\Norton 360\Norton data\\definitions\virus defs....

We have paid for a  year of Norton and I would hate to remove anything that causes that to not work properly. What do I do?

Also, our computer is an ASUS. Every time we turn it on we have to hit the F1 key for it to properly boot up. Why? Could the message above be related to that?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am not a "computer geek", so I hope you don't need anything too technical to help me out. haha

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,745 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Use the programs below to find and remove the adware. As you have found out, having two antivirus programs

can cause problems. You will need to completely uninstall either Norton or AVG.

download AdwCleaner to your desktop.
 Run adwcleaner.exe

• Hit Scan and wait for the scan to finish.
  • Confirm the message but don´t uncheck anything.
  • Hit Clean
  • When the run is finished, it will open up a text file
  • Please post its contents within your next reply
  • You´ll also find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt

Download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

Go to here to run the online scannner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file....
  • Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Wendymc

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thank you! I will give it a try! I was told to put AVG as well as other programs on the computer, but I apparently was steared wrong. Thank you for your help!

#4 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,733 posts
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

I was told to put AVG as well as other programs on the computer, but I apparently was steared wrong...

Yes you were...Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable as buddy215 indicated.

For more info as to why, see the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Wendymc

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Thanks again! :)