Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Load

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Demux

Demux

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I'm working on a toshiba A305 S6872. I'm having a hunch that I am having a hardware problem that I can't quite put my finger on. Essentialy, I am having the same issues mentioned here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518205/windows-7-do-not-load-microsoft-6to4-adapters-thus-preventing-system-to-startup/#entry3288460 . However, the HDD does boot in another computer. I have swapped RAM, and the HDD in the computer so far, that's all I have available to swap (easily). The HDD im using to swap will not boot on the laptop either.

What's interesting is that I can get to safe mode no problem, and boot some Linux live disk from the disk drive. So I begin to second guess hardware issues. However, when looking at the ntblog.txt log, I see as the other post did,  classpnp.sys was the last successful driver to load, and the Microsoft 6to4 adapter does not load.

Only basic safe mode option works, not networking, c-prompt, etc. The other options do not load either, low-res, etc. Also, loading of any Windows boot disk will not work. Only some Linux live disk. But of-course, the HDD will boot in another laptop.

As you can see, this is perplexing. Any suggestions are appreciated. One thing to note is that is does point to network related issues, but why not boot Windows disk? The OS installed in Win7 Ultimate x32. I have a Win Ultimate x32 disk downloading, but im not sure how much it will help. The is no network adapter found in network manager when looking for wifi. Would this cause a no-boot?

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2014 - 06:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

Is the date/time correct when you are in safe mode?

Have you pulled the CMOS battery for a minute or so to force an inventory of devices?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Demux

Demux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

Is the date/time correct when you are in safe mode?

Have you pulled the CMOS battery for a minute or so to force an inventory of devices?

Keep us posted

When I recieved the laptop, the bios was locked up. I shorted the appropriate pads to clear that out. The CMOS battery is soldered in. When booting into safe mode, I do see correct time. I have a hunch some hardware is holding me up. When trying to boot my other HDD in the laptop, it will not boot either.

The owner of the laptop mentioned running a password unlocker on the bios. Those are not very common, so It is likely he had no idea what he was doing and possibly corrupted something at a low level, like ring-0 or something. Other thoughts, the dvd drive light is orange when running, that doesn't look like a color of something working properly.

Edited by Demux, 14 February 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hi,

If you have access to another computer you might see if you can download the correct BIOS for that machine and maybe you can slip it in using a USB drive. If that fails you might have to consider sending the system back to the manufacturer or replacing the motherboard.

A fried BIOS may not be recoverable

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 Demux

Demux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

Hi,

If you have access to another computer you might see if you can download the correct BIOS for that machine and maybe you can slip it in using a USB drive. If that fails you might have to consider sending the system back to the manufacturer or replacing the motherboard.

A fried BIOS may not be recoverable

Keep us posted

That is another thing that I forgot to mention. I downloaded present and past version of BIOS from the manufacturer, downgraded at first and troubleshot with that one. Same issue persisted. I then loaded back the present one, and the same issue persisted with that. At this point I am pointing towards the motherboard as I really running out of things to try.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

I'll go with your choice.

Dick E

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

Because you can enter safe mode, are there any errors shown in Event Viewer System events? If you are considering a clean install, you may have a restore partition on the hard drive. You would be able to see this in disk management. If it is there, you can access it by pressing the zero key at power up. But, this may give you a different OS depending on what OS was installed at purchase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users