Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype interferes with sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TiznaraN

TiznaraN

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hello Community!  Have had this very frustrating issue with Skype for quite sometime now.  Whenever I take a call no other sounds in the background will come through.

Things I have already attempted:

-Reinstalling Skype

-Control Panel -> Sounds ->Headphones Properties -> Unchecked "Allow application to take       exclusive control of this device"

-Sounds -> Communication Tab -> "Do Nothing"

-I've tried cycling through all different available speaker options in Skype

-Tested Ringing and I can hear while on a call

-Tested Speaker through Control Panel and sound plays while on call

-I have unchecked "Automatically adjust speaker settings"

-Have messed with settings in Beats Audio nothing seems to change, again can test headphones in this application and get sound same as testing in Skype and Control Panel but this is the only other sound I can get to play while on a call.

I'm sure there's more that I've tried over the months but these are the ones that come to mind, I've never had a problem with the audio on a call just that no other audio will come through other than the person speaking, cannot game, cannot watch a youtube video while on call etc.

Any ideas would be nice, thanks for your time :)

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2014 - 11:19 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

I don't think any sound system can handle more than one signal at a time. You can output the one signal to more than one output, and you can mix two inputs into one output signal but as far as I know you cannot get two different outputs out of one audio system. Your computer is judging that at the time of a Skype conversation the telephone conversation is the most important signal, therefore it mutes out any others.

If you have two sound systems on your computer - say onboard audio and an add-on soundcard - it might be possible to get Skype out ot one and the background to YouTube out of the other, but I have never tried this.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

What version of skype are you using? With the version I have, I can be on a call and listen to music/video with music with no problems. My version of skype is 6.13.0.104.

#4 TiznaraN

TiznaraN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Chris, I never had a problem before my latest OS reload.  Check that, I did have a problem but all I had to do was go to Control Panel Sounds, and have it do nothing when a communication device is detected.  Also the people I skype with can all hear other sounds just fine, think people gaming and using skype 

bass, I have 6.11.59.102 which is the latest version when I check.  But the problem has persisted through several updates and a few reinstalls, it's actually not just skype even if I fire up Mumble I get no other sounds.  meant to have that in original post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users