Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1962 - No operating system found

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 giauquebokz

giauquebokz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'm getting the dreaded Error 1962 when I try to turn on my computer.

It's a Lenovo IdeaCentre K410 running 64-bit Windows 8. Yesterday I was working, minding my own business, when the computer started to slow down, so I rebooted, and started getting the error. I can't think of any new software or hardware I might have installed that would have caused this.

My hard drive shows up in the BIOS, and I still get the error when I put the hard drive at the start of the boot sequence. I ran a scan for bad sectors using UBCD and everything came up clean. I also used a Windows 7 install DVD I had lying around to get a DOS prompt and check c:\dir, and all my files are still there in the main partition.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like you need to create a new boot file.

Do you have a windows 8 recovery disc? You have to make one on a working win8 system, Microsoft doesn't sell or distribute them.

#3 giauquebokz

giauquebokz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the response netghost.

I downloaded the iso from here and tried to just do the "refresh" option, but it said that the drive was locked. Might that be related to whatever is causing the problem?

When I run bootrec /scanos it finds the Win8 installation on c:, so it should still be there, right?

Edited by giauquebokz, 14 February 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

The OS is there, but the boot instructions don't appear to be.

Have you tried the Advanced Startup Options? Safe Mode? Last Known Good Config?

As for fixing the boot record:

Boot from the win 8 DVD

Select command prompt

commands:

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

then back into the win 8 auto repair.

But I wouldn't run this just yet.

#5 giauquebokz

giauquebokz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

I tried the Advanced Startup Options, but it just said that it couldn't repair anything automatically. I wasn't able to boot into safe mode on load a last known good config.

I ran the bootrec steps earlier, and when i tried to add the c:\windows installation to the boot list, it said "the requested system device cannot be found."

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

AHCI mode seems to be the culprit with the Lenovo's.  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=SF08-D0203  You need to go into the Bios and make sure that the SATA controller is set for SATA AHCI Enabled.  It also can end up that the Hard drive has died a death, the SATA controller chip is faulty, which means replacement of the mother board, or bad SATA cable.

Check the Bios settings first, to make sure AHCI is not disabled.  If it is enabled, and still getting the problem, try a different hard drive and see if you can install Windows or even a Linux distro say Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit.  If you can install a OS on the replacement drive, then you know you had a bad drive.

You can check the S.M.A.R.T. info on the hard drive, but since the error 1962 is common with Lenovo/IBM PC's more then any other brand, it is an easy fix in this case.  Which means trying a different known good hard drive first, before ruling out faulty hardware (ie Motherboard).

#7 giauquebokz

giauquebokz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have a HDD from an old computer that I had installed and used as a secondary drive. When I switched the SATA cables for the two drives, I was able to install Windows 7 onto the old drive, so the SATA cables, motherboard, etc, should be fine. In the Bios, SATA AHCI mode is enabled.

So does that mean the my original HDD is faulty, even though I can access all the files on it, I just can't boot from it?

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Could be. Did you try chkdsk while you have it set up this way?

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

It could be, or your old hard drive is faulty.  Right now Newegg.com is running a sale on the Crucial M500 240gb SSD.  So if you find that the drive is shot, I would just go with the SSD and that way not only will the system run cooler, but it will load programs faster.

#10 giauquebokz

giauquebokz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

I ran chkdsk on both drives and they both came back error free.

Edited by giauquebokz, 15 February 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Then something else is causing it.  Suggest downloading Xubuntu 12.04 lts 32-bit .iso from xubuntu.org, check, for the S.M.A.R.T. info on both drives.  Also try swapping out SATA cables, and also boot with only one drive in at a time, and see if it still happens.  If a replacement drive, swapped SATA cable does not fix it, that leaves a bad motherboard or messed up bios as your problem.

#12 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

Find out the manufacturer of your hard disk (the one with win8 on it) and then go to the manufacturers web site and get there hard disk diagnostic disk to test your hard disk. These are normally small ISO files which you burn to a CD and then boot from the CD and run some tests on the hard disk. This will tell you if your hard disk is dead, dying or OK.

#13 giauquebokz

giauquebokz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I ended up just backing up my data and getting the restore disks from Lenovo. The computer has been running just fine since then, so whatever the problem was, seems to be gone now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users