Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7: How to stop searchindexer.exe from coming back on ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 peterk312

peterk312

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Windows Search is a service that I want to run, but a component of this, searchindexer.exe is supposed to be possible to disable if you don't need indexing of files. The Windows Search service does much more than this, so I don't want to disable the whole thing, just the indexing of files (if you're curious why, it's mostly because I suspect it's writing and reading the hard drive and the constant clicking and buzzing noise is too annoying).

What did I already try:

1. You're supposed to be able to go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off >  go to "Indexing Service" and uncheck the box. Also, scroll down to "Windows Search" I can see the check is still there, which I want so that I can still search for files (without the indexing feature).

2. I go to Start > open Computer > Hard Disk Drives > Properties  and I uncheck "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed..."

3. I go to Start > Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services  and "Windows Search" is set on Manual.

Yet, here's the bizarre thing: Every time I stop the service it runs again. I can't seem to find if there is something that is set to run the indexer when the system is idle. If you know where to look for this, can you give me details how to investigate? I'm new to Windows 7 so I'm not sure about all features.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Instead of setting Windows Search to manual in services, set it to Disabled.

#3 peterk312

peterk312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Instead of setting Windows Search to manual in services, set it to Disabled.

This disables ALL Windows Search services, including the Start Menu search and folder search services. There is supposed to be a way to keep Windows Search service on manual and only stop the SearchIndexer.exe. Disabling Windows Search means every time you want to search for a file you have to go back and turn the Windows Search option back on.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Searchindexer.exe can also be malware.  It is one of the common services, that can be malware in disguise.  Have you ran the usual tools, to make sure your system is not infected.

#5 peterk312

peterk312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Avast scan (including a boot scan) and Malwarebytes both indicate no virus, malware, or pup.

I disabled Windows Search for a test today, and it appears the hard drive activity has not been as high. I'm wondering too if the problem is low RAM (I've got 2 GB at the moment, which I think is the minimum recommended for Windows 7) with high page file usage, but I can see there's still available RAM at the Task Manager > Performance tab.  I'm going to be installing more memory very soon anyway and will have 8GB total.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Minimum for Windows 7 for RAM is 1gb for 32-bit, 2gb for 64-bit.  Windows 7 will run on a machine with only 512mb for a 32-bit install.  As for you, you should be fine with 2gb of RAM.  Something else is eating up memory.  May want to run Sysinternals Process Explorer, to find out what is chewing up RAM.

#7 peterk312

peterk312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Minimum for Windows 7 for RAM is 1gb for 32-bit, 2gb for 64-bit.  Windows 7 will run on a machine with only 512mb for a 32-bit install.  As for you, you should be fine with 2gb of RAM.  Something else is eating up memory.  May want to run Sysinternals Process Explorer, to find out what is chewing up RAM.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit. So looks like I do need more than 2 GB RAM.

I've used Process Explorer before, and it's tough to see what process is causing page file faults, which could be partly responsible for the hard drive activity that I hear, but with Windows Search service off I'm still not getting the same noises as I did. What should I be looking for when I hear these noises if I run Process Explorer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users