Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open most applications, and no sound!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ciscokid86

Ciscokid86

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

I have a serious problem with my computer. It all happened around the time of a routine Windows Update...

As of this morning I am unable to open most applications. For instance, if I attempt to open Microsoft Office I receive a popup: "preparing to install..", then: "error 1719- The Windows Installer service could not be accessed". 

When I attempt to open iTunes: "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio/video configuration".

I can hear the normal sound effects when clicking around through Windows, but there is no audio playback for media/youtube/etc. My web browser is working fine.. 

I did a system restore twice and have had no success. I assume this has to do with my update? Or maybe a virus? I have no idea.. 

I tried uninstalling the Windows Updates, but it didn't seem to help. There are quite a few security updates for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile that I'm unable to uninstall for some reason, but I was able to uninstall the main Windows Update. 

I also noticed that I'm unable to playback any video files (mp4, flv, etc.). Another weird problem - I'm unable to open any of the subheading in Control Panel (e.g. uninstall a program, view devices and printers, etc.); only main headings can be opened. 

Also, if I open my task manager sometimes there are maybe 40-50 instances of dllhost.exe - COM Surrogate.. not sure what this is?
Please help!! I need to get homework done! 

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users