Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu runs at 100% after changing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 geoffm56

geoffm56

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hello all

I replaced my hard drive with a new bigger one,now my pc runs at %100 just about all the time,specially

on the internet

I have an AMD 3800 2400 MHZ with 4 GB ram

my old hard drive was a hitachi 60GB and new one is western digital  500 GB

seems to run slow,I tried win xp and then wiped it and put in vista,no other programs installed yet

any other info needed

thx in advance

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 04:21 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

It may be doing updates. You can try to turn them off in control panel>Security>Windows updates and see if that changes anything.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2014 - 10:38 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 geoffm56

geoffm56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

thx for the reply it seems to be fine when i don't have a browser open rins at a low %,soon as i open a browser and switch pages

or click on any link in a browser it jumps right to 100% and slows right down

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Is this a single core 3800 cpu? If it is, modern browsers with flash can use 100% of the cpu fairly easily. You can try and update adobe flash player (unselect the mccaffee they bundle or whatever it happens to be) http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

You may want to update your video card driver as well, if it is using a standard vga driver it may not use hardware acceleration and this will cause the cpu to have to do more work.

#6 geoffm56

geoffm56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

the cpu says it's rated for 3800 but is 2400 for real,single core and i have a nvidia gt430 video card,the adobe is updated to the latest flashplayer,

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Do you have the newest driver directly from nvidia's website? You can get your driver here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Product type: GeForce

Product Series: GeForce 400 Series

Product: GeForce GT 430

Operating system: (vista 32 or 64) I do not know which you have, select the correct one, then click search and download the newest available driver.

#8 geoffm56

geoffm56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thx but yes i got that yesterday,downloaded and installed,didn't change the cpu usage,still running 100% whenever

i do anything

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

if you use Ctrl + Alt + Delete, go to task manager, then click on the processes tab, make sure you click the Show processes from all users in the bottom left corner, then sort by cpu usage by clicking the CPU column (click on the part that says CPU). Can you tell me which process is using the majority of the cpu?

Edited by zingo156, 19 February 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#10 geoffm56

geoffm56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

ok i did what you said and when my browser is open "iexplorer.exe" has the highest at approx 860,000-943,000 k's specially

when i'm scrolling or clicking on a link.

after that it's "svchost.exe"  which runs around 64000 k. When the browser is closed the cpu usage never hits 100% ,but does

get up to 65% or so

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Please run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

#12 geoffm56

geoffm56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

1. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/M3LTDskd8IAP4coJKM4lqda

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

According to speccy, you are on vista with service pack 1. As a first step I would recommend getting all of the windows updates. You can get there by clicking control panel > System and Security > Windows update. Then click the check for updates button or click install. There are likely many hours worth of updates. When you click check for updates and it says there are no more available updates you should be done there. Also if you right click on computer > then properties it will say on that page which service pack you are on which should be sp2. There will be many updates after you get service pack 2 so do not stop after you see that one install. Install unitl there are no more left to do.

The other thing to test is if a simple page like www.google.com uses the same amount of cpu as something like www.cnn.com google is a simple site and cnn has much more to load and run. Single core cpu's are quite dated and modern pages use more and more resources. Google has remianed simple so that one should be ok even on a single core.

#14 geoffm56

geoffm56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

ok i did what you said and updated vista to sp2 and then there were 114 updates,installed them too,

and it's alot better,cpu still spikes to 100% on big pages but it's almost back to where it was with the other hard drive,

tried google and it hardly uses any cpu,might have to change my motherboard/cpu to a multi core,

thx for all your help,your are awesome

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

Glad I could help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users