Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Password can't remember

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raymond60

Raymond60

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Raymond and I'm hoping someone will have an idea to solve my problem. I have not used this Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop in approx. 6 months and can't remember the Bios Password to turn the PC on.

Now I've tried several sites that had lists of bios backdoor passwords, so far none worked. Also took the Cmos battery out for 24 hours and then tried that and once again still comes back with requiring password. BTW it don't show at any time what BIOS this computer has, ie. AMI, AWARD, PHOENIX etc. etc. Well nuff said, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Why do you need the BIOS password to turn on the PC? BIOS passwords are supposed to be only to prevent changes to BIOS settings.

Do you mean the logon password?

#3 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Try removing the CMOS battery once more, waiting 5 minutes, then connecting a charging cable to the computer and turning it on. You should see some sort of error message. Once you see that error message, turn it back off and put the CMOS battery back in. That should reset the BIOS password.

#4 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

@Netghost56: Some computers have BIOS locks or HDD locks that prevent the computer from booting unless you have the password to bypass the lock. I encountered one of these on an old Dell server we have at work, and it was the first time I'd seen it.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Ahh ok. Must be REALLY old LOL. I asked only because we have several E1505s at work and I've never seen one that wouldn't boot without a BIOS password.

#6 Raymond60

Raymond60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Why do you need the BIOS password to turn on the PC? BIOS passwords are supposed to be only to prevent changes to BIOS settings.

Do you mean the logon password?

yes.

#7 Raymond60

Raymond60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Try removing the CMOS battery once more, waiting 5 minutes, then connecting a charging cable to the computer and turning it on. You should see some sort of error message. Once you see that error message, turn it back off and put the CMOS battery back in. That should reset the BIOS password.

I read that yesterday on the web and tried and it didn't work. So then I read to leave the battery out for 15 + hrs., so I tried that and it didn't work.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Ahh ok. Must be REALLY old LOL. I asked only because we have several E1505s at work and I've never seen one that wouldn't boot without a BIOS password.

While the feature may have been around a long time, you don't normally see it as it is easily bypassed by removing the CMOS battery.  Since it is easily bypassed most people opt not to use it.

Forum policy is to not provide information on bypassing password protections.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

You should be able to contact Dell, or find the answer with a properly structured search.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Forum policy is to not provide information on bypassing password protections.

That is somewhat incorrect...the correct interpretation is that we do not provide information on illegally bypassing passwords.  The key is to determine if such request constitutes such...or is a fairly common occurrence.  Following is a response to such situations that we can provide to members. prepared by one of our senior, esteemed Staff members..

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.
Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#10 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

I believe on Dell laptops the BIOS passwords are stored on EEPROM so removing the CMOS battery will not reset the password.

You will probably need to contact Dell who, if you can prove ownership, can provide an override password - which is individual to that laptop.  This service is chargeable if the laptop is out of warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users