Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp folders are "missing" and cannot install programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jac335

jac335

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hello,

I think my laptop (Windows 7 64 bit) may be infected.  I cannot install programs such as Temporary File Cleaner, DDS, TN PageDefrag.  I receive an error: "Error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid."

I have checked using Windows explorer, and both the C:\Users\[user name]\AppData and C:\Windows\Temp folder exist.  They may have been corrupted, but they are there.

Also, according to the Windows Action Center (in Control Panel), my antivirus program (McAfee) is turned off.  However, when I open McAfee, it says it is turned on.  Please see attached screenshots.  Is Windows not recognizing my antivirus software? I am vulnerable to (further) infection?

I do not know how to clean my PC and possibly rid it of any malware, since I cannot install these programs.

Please help!

J

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2014 - 11:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

It is possible that what ever infected your machine, may have hidden those folders.  You can try a Repair of Windows 7.  See the following.  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html  If all you have is the System Recovery DVD's, that you made that are specific to your machine, the link I posted, gives you a valid link to download a .iso, to help you do a repair of Windows 7.

#3 jac335

jac335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the response, Greg.

Unfortunately, I do not have the Windows 7 system install/recovery CD.  This laptop is~3 yrs old, I no longer have the disc (if it even came with one from Dell).

I have tried using System Restore, but I received an error stating that the system "failed to restore".

Most programs will not install, they give an error stating my temp folder is invalid or missing.

Re-installing or repair-installing Windows seems a little extreme, and I don't even know if I'd be able to re-install or re-activate a legitimate copy of Windows without my factory disc. Any other scanners or repair programs I could try first?

Thanks,

-J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users